marble-top furniture

Old 08-08-01, 09:15 PM
llstaffo
Visiting Guest
We just recently purchased a Thomasville dresser with marble top and have a possible problem with it. In one spot there is an area approximately 1/4" in diameter where there is a "hole." You can see it if you look at it and you can feel it as well. We called the furniture store, and they said that is normal. It seems that there is a polished glossy surface covering the marble, and this "hole" seems to be in the polished surface. Is this something we need to have replaced, or is this truly normal? If it isn't replaced, is it going to cause any problems with moisture from the air or anything getting spilled on it? It just seems odd that all of the marble tops they have at the store have no "holes" and yet they give us one with a hole. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-10-01, 10:38 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Marble top

Mother nature is not perfect. If you have a natural stone product, it will have flaws. If you are not satisfied with the top, then the store should pick up your product and replace it. Perhaps you could inspect the next one before delivery to make sure that it meets your expectations.

Old 08-11-01, 08:22 AM
llstaffo
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply, twelvepole, but part of my dilemma is that I don't know if my expectations are too high. Is this a very common "flaw" in marble tops to have a hole this size? I've never bought anything with a marble top before to know. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-11-01, 08:52 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Marble top

I believe I would contact the store where I purchased the furniture and get their input. Most stores want satisfied customers. Pits do however occur naturally in marble. You might find the info at http://www.stonecare.com useful from the standpoint of care and maintenance of marble.

Old 08-11-01, 01:09 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Of course, all naturual stone products are going to have flaws (faults, veins, etc.), but furniture grade stone should be properly filled before polishing. I would ask for a new top. I know you must have paid maga-bucks for the dresser.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: