Cleaning grout mess on new slate tile.

Old 08-10-01, 09:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hi,
I have just layed a grey slate flooring. The slate has a cleft surface. I am using a dark grey grout. I just applied grout to a hallway. Now it has been 3 days, I have been working on this same area till now trying to remove the grout dried into the small surface imperfections of the tile. There is also a haze left on the surface. Black slate is alternated in the floor and the grey haze is especially noticable there. I sealed the tile before hand with TileLab SurfaceGard sealer. Which I thought was to prevent this exact event. At this point I am so frustrated I am thinking of ripping the tile out of the hallway and redoing it. It looks bad!
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-01, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout on slate

Contact the manufacturer of your slate sealant. Sounds like you did everything right. Perhaps they have recommendations. How many coats of sealant were required to get into all the imperfections?

Old 08-11-01, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whoa, Ed! Don't tear anything out.

Go down to your local full service tile supply store and ask for something that will clean grout haze off slate safely. The little bit of grout in the crevases will look fine once you've cleaned the rest of the haze. When you apply the final sealer to the surface of the slate, everything will look super. Rustic but super. Isn't that what you want?

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 08-11-01, 08:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks,
It took 4 coats before the sealer stoped soaking completely in under the time limit imposed by the manufacturer.
Yeah the rustic look is what I'm going for. LOL I appreciate the advice. I think I am going to add a grout release agent on top of the sealer before I do any more tile. I have been using sharp sticks to work the grout out of the cracks and crevices on the slate. should be done by tomorrow. Wow, what a pain. Hopefully the haze cleaner will finish the job.