asbestos tile removal

Old 08-14-01, 05:03 PM
Visiting Guest
I would like to remove the old 6x6 asbestos tile from the kitchen. What is the safest way to remove?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-01, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Never heard of 6x6 asbestos tiles. Maybe 9x9?

They usually flip right up if you get a putty knife or a mason's pointer under the edge.

Wear a dust mask and don't worry about it. You won't cause any asbestos to go airborne.

Old 08-16-01, 10:58 AM
floormantwo
Visiting Guest
Question

Mr Bridges is correct, however if it wood make ya feel better, use a squirt bottle with water mixed with thimble of soap, thats what we do except on larger scale on the projects we encounter with ASB.

Old 08-16-01, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Way to go, Floorman. Forgot that . . . excuse me . . . cough, choke . . . forgot to mention that.

Old 08-22-01, 01:37 PM
no_sparks
Visiting Guest
john, floormantwo - I saw your comments on the asbestos tiles. Great info, but what is the purpose of the soapy water?

Old 08-22-01, 02:45 PM
floormantwo
Visiting Guest
Any time asbestos is disturbed it changes the thermo-nuclear structure of the product, and causes it to become shaped like very small fish hooks, these can and will attach themselves to the linings of nostrils and or throat, when inhaled, the use of liquid sprayed on the flooring helps slow the dispersal of asbestos, the soap acts as a magnet to attract them.