ceramic tile over 20 yr. old linoleum?

Old 08-20-01, 05:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Help!!!!! Please!!!! I've heard so many different things. I've never tiled before and I'm attempting to do so to my bathroom floor which has linoleum that is about 20 yrs. old. It is firmly stuck to the ground and would be a huge pain to try to get up and I wouldn't know how to go about doing that as well. It has a concrete foundation, if that is necessary to know. Please tell me what the best thing to do is and how should i go about tiling my floor. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-01, 02:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Tami: I am no pro by any stretch, but I have ceramic tiled my bathroom and kitchen floors in a 100 year old home. Before you do anything with the old tile, you would want to make sure it does not contain asbestos (sp?). I laid ceramic tile over old tile in my bath and it was ok, mostly...however, in the hall way where there was old linoleum, some of the tiles loosened because the mastic wouldn't stick good enough. I believe that I have seen some mastic at Lowe's that said it would stick to anything. Hope I have been of some help. I have a question on this forum that nobody has replied to. You don't know anything about ceramic tiles over laminate countertops do you?

Old 08-21-01, 02:37 PM
Visiting Guest
no, sorry, i don't know about that. i've just gotten started on all this home repair stuff and i know just about nothing on just about everything. thanks for the help and good luck with your projects.

Old 08-21-01, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Ladies,

I think both of you would benefit from searching this site. The issue of tile over linoleum has been covered several times recently, and so has tiling over plastic laminate. I'll be happy to answer your questions.