Filling in a hole in mortar bed

Old 08-22-01, 07:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I recently removed inch square ceramic mosiac tiles in my bathroom floor. Under them remained the adhesive and mortar.
In order to see how deep the mortar went I drilled out a hole all the way through the mortar to the plywood below (in an area where the vanity will cover). The hole of mortar removed measures 2 inches wide by 1 1/2 inches deep.
I now have decided to tile directly over the old mortar bed with 12 by 12 tiles.

My question is: What would be the best material to fill in this deep hole with the quickest dry time and strongest bonding?
I want to begin tiling as soon as possible.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-01, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling hole in mortar

Curiosity killed the cat! I can't help but recall the stories I've heard people tell about being in the military where they were commanded to dig a hole and fill it back up.
As tile will cover the hole, and the vanity will cover the tile, I think I shall command you not to fill up the hole. If you are insistent, I think I would purchase one of those little buckets of instant concrete you can stir up with water and fill up the hole. Best wishes.

Old 08-25-01, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Matthew,

The material you'll be using to install the new tiles (modified thin set mortar) will fill the hole adequately. Just fill it when you get to it, and tile over it.

It's important to get all the loose particles of dust and debris off the old mud bed before you start. A shop vac works wonders. If you sweep it, dampen it a little with water in order to keep the dust down.