cleaning grout

Old 10-07-01, 11:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

What can i use to clean old grout and thinset off of my ceramic tile?

Old 10-08-01, 04:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

your speaking to a cleaning pro...
I would pickup grout cleaner, a brush, and get a lot of music ready, after you think you have "all the grout cleaned from corner to corner" then use the grout sealer.
Good luck
any other cleaning questions email
yearroundcleaning@prodigy.net

Old 10-08-01, 05:37 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleaning grout & thinset off tile

If you are cleaning used tile for a project, you will have the best luck cutting old grout off with a razor knife. Grinding excess thinset off back of tile is about the only way to go for that problem.

If you are cleaning an existing tile job where someone left a mess with grout and thinset, then that's a different can of worms. There are commericial grout and haze removers available. Tile installers,however, usually have the best luck rubbing excess grout and haze with old, dry terry towel and some elbow grease. Excess thinset is another story. It is dried concrete. The tile guys on the forums at http://www.johnbridge.com will have the answer for that and any other question you might have about tile.

Fresh grout needs to cure for a couple weeks before sealing. It is highly recommended in areas where grout will be exposed to a lot of moisture and soil, such as in a bathroom or on kitchen counters. If you seal, you will need to repeat the job periodically. Buy a quality, nonyellowing sealer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: