replacing old tub surround with ceramic tile

Old 11-01-01, 04:32 PM
Visiting Guest
My 1950 bathroom had a shower and tub surround added several years ago. Unfortunately, there is a window in the wall that is impossible to keep dry. I would like to remove the surround and tile the walls. What should I do with the window sill and trim? Add a marble sill? Box in the window? Any info would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-01, 11:32 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Petunia,

I'm afraid you lost me (it's easy to do). If you can't keep the window dry now, how are you going to do it with new tile? Do you mean the sill won't drain now, or what?

Old 11-03-01, 03:46 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm sorry for the confusion-if I could draw a picture, it would be easier! The window itself is a vinyl replacement window and the moisture hasn't bothered it so far. The trim around the window and the sill are wood and that's my problem. I keep a mini-blind over it all and that helps but I'm tired of scraping and repainting every year or so. How do I trim the window out if I replace the existing tub surround with tile? Can I just edge up to the window and then apply tile molding of some sort?

Old 11-03-01, 12:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Petunia,

Wish I had a picture, too.

If you use cement backer board on the walls (as you should) you can make pieces the fit inside the window opening against the window. They you can tile right up to the widow, using radius bullnose (A-4200) to make the turn. The window sill can be tile, marble, Corian, or fake marble. Whatever it is, it is tilted slightly into the shower so that it will drain.

Old 11-06-01, 02:32 AM
Visiting Guest
tiling tub surround

Thanks for the reply. I've been doing some research as well, and you are absolutely correct. In fact, we brought home some "cheap" tile to play with around the window. I think we're on the way!