Cost to Do Project

Old 08-22-02, 10:48 PM
Banjoman
Visiting Guest
Question Cost to Do Project

I've been asked to put a tile floor down for a friend. The floor is 16' x 24' and she wants 12" tile. The floor is concrete and level, so no extra work there. How do I price my labor/cost for a job this size? I realize there a lot of variables, etc, but don't know where to start with a price. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-23-02, 04:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Revolves largely around cost of the tile she wants. That's 384 sqft, so right off the bat the tile will run $750-1500 ($2-4/sqft). The thinset and grout is not terribly expensive, but you'll need tools and a tile cutter. So the other big question is, how much is you time worth? One suggestion would be to check with tile installers in your area and see what it would cost for a pro and base your labor on that; maybe do it for 50-75% of the pro's figure. Not sure what I would charge; maybe $10/hr for a really good friend, $15-20/hr for a casual acquaintence. That's a fair amount of tile to lay for a d-i-y'er (my wife wants to go tile in our living areas when the 8 yr old carpet gets too far gone so I'm looking at that kind of project, too). Don't forget to allow a little extra for the Tylenol and Ben-gay you'll probably need, LOL.

Old 08-23-02, 03:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
$10-$15 an Hour?

I feel insulted!

$67.50 per hour or $4.00 per f.t just to set tile & grout only. If cement board installation is needed, then add another $3.00 per sq.ft. and I supply the cement board.

$400 minimum charge

Remember, it take two days to do anything. You cant' et tile and grout the same day.

Also remember the tile needs expansion around the perimeter that must not have grout in the expansion. It must then be trimmed out to cover the expansion. ALL doorjambs must be undercut so the tile will slide under the casings.

Old 08-23-02, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
I was assuming banjoman was talking a REAL friend which means the friend would be expected to get down on hands and knees, too. I wasn't suggesting that was going rate for a professional job. I don't think I would charge any friend $400 labor for that job (unless the friend was planning on sitting with feet up with a cold one watching me work, LOL), but I don't tile for a living. It's a lot different if you do it for a living and friends expect you to give them slave-labor rates. Been there, done that.

Old 08-24-02, 03:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No, No, No! Friends and family are the ones you charge more! You don't need to let them know it.
You charge them more because if there is a failure, 30 years from now, you will still here it. In other words, you have put a lifetime guaranty on it and you don't even know it!!

Old 08-25-02, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
LOL, the trick is making them think they're getting a great deal (which they are - somebody you don't know wouldn't put up with the over-the-shoulder kibbitzing and expectation of a lifetime warranty).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: