Cermic tile over particle board

Old 01-01-02, 09:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Cermic tile over particle board

I have been remodling the kitchen and all the cabinents are installed. The sub flooring consists of 1/2" plywood, covered with 5/8" particle board underlayment, I guess this is the way they use to do it 25 years ago, this is on 2 x10's 16" OC. Can I put down a wire mesh with a self levling scratch cote?as not to increase the height, or will I need the 1/2" backer board. Also, is thicker tile less prone to crack than thinner tile?

Thanks
TOM

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-02, 11:11 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing ceramic tile

Particle board is frequently found in older homes, particularly under carpeted areas. It is not a recommended underlayment for ceramic tile. What causes tile and grout to break is the give and movement in the subfloor and underlayment material not the thickness of the tile. Thus, rigid concrete underlayment is the most preferred underlayment for floor tile. Go to www.doityourself.com/ceramic for helpful information.

Old 01-01-02, 12:41 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Tom,

Particle board has gained notoriety not only among tile setters but throughout the flooring business in general. Best thing to do is get rid of it altogether. I realize this is not what you wanted to hear, but it's good advice.

Old 01-01-02, 11:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Tom,
I agree with John. Particle board is not good under ceramic tile. I would get rid of it as well. The thickness of your tile really has no bearing on the strength Some thin porcelain's are much srtonger and harder than some thick "conventional" monocoturra.
Regards,
Rich Gately (Tileman1)

www.gatelytile.com