Ceramic tile shower

Old 01-23-02, 07:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Ceramic tile shower

I am remodeling our bathroom in the basement and we are planning at the moment to tile the shower area. I will have an enclosed area for the shower app. 50"x40" and plan to put up cement backer board.

What size cement board should I use 1/2" or can I get by with 1/4"?

There is paint on the original cement floor of the shower area, does it have to be removed?

Also, not much talk about tiling on the ceiling? Any precautions or things to do to make it easier?

Old 01-24-02, 05:08 PM
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
Go to http://www.johnbridge.com advice forum. They can tell you everything you want to know and more, if you can stand their humor!

Old 01-30-02, 11:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Thicker is almost always better however, in a shower you may not have to use the 1/2 inch unless you have a shower seat or places you will be leaning against etc. Thicker cement board is always good in high traffic areas. The way to think about it is --Tile is not flexable and if the surface underneath it is-- you get cracked tile and grout. Its up to you, how much movement the walls might get.

The painted floor. You can sand the paint off or use a paint remover. Its always better to start with a clean surface.

The celing, best advice, go slow, don't try to rush that, if you can build yourself a platform that can hold the tile in place while it dries.

Most importantly, seal everything when your done, then seal it every year after that.

good luck

Old 01-31-02, 11:56 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Tiling a shower

Go to www.doityourself.com/ceramic for helpful info. If you tile the ceiling, it is recommended that you do it before the walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: