cleaning grout off tile

Old 01-29-02, 05:55 PM
Chee Chee
Visiting Guest
cleaning grout off tile

Ok, we finished the floor, and it is beautiful--or at least it was before we did the grout. We chose the tile because it is interesting with mottled colors, little crevices around the edges, and won't be slippery when wet. It's kind of hard to describe, but it it the Mardi Gras tile at Home Depot. We cleaned it up as well as we could as we went, but we did the whole floor in one day ( now we know we should have done half Saturday and half Sunday. So it was setting up before we finished getting it all out of those little crevices. Part of the problem is that the grout is a lighter grey than we thought it would be. It looks great when it is wet, but when it dries the grout shows up in those littles spaces around the edges. If it were darker it would blend in with the mottled grey areas in the tiles. Of course the haze cleaner does not remove that, although it makes it a little easier to dig it out with a chisel. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend the next 20 years crawling around on this floor. Is it okay to use a wire brush? I'm thinking maybe if I soak it with haze cleaner for a few minutes and then use a wire brush, maybe I could clean a whole side of a tile at once. But I don't want to damage the tile. There has to be a better way.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-02, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chee Chee,

I don't think there IS a better way. Use water instead of the haze cleaner and use the stiff brush. It is not going to be easy. Grout is cement, and it's meant to stay once it gets hard.

Old 01-29-02, 06:30 PM
Chee Chee
Visiting Guest
Can I dye the grout

Well, would it be possible to dye the grout? If it were darker, it would not look bad where it is stuck in the little spaces on the edges of the tile.

Old 01-29-02, 06:32 PM
Chee Chee
Visiting Guest
John, when you said "use the stiff brush", what did you mean? Is a wire brush okay?

Old 01-31-02, 12:48 PM
Removing grout from tile

Dried grout on tile tends to be impossible to remove. I would be hesitant to use a wire brush for fear of scratching the tile.

Old 01-31-02, 12:59 PM
Chee Chee
Visiting Guest
grout on tile

Actually the grout in the crevices on the edges of the tile is watered down because of our efforts to get it off before it set. So it can be scraped off. It's more like heavy thick tile haze. But scraping each little crevice will take forever. A scrub brush doesn't work and a scrubby sponge doesn't get into the crevices very well. Is there a very stiff brush that is not made of wire? How about a small brush with brass bristles?

And what did you think of my idea of dyeing the grout? If it were darker, it would look fine like it is.

Old 01-31-02, 01:16 PM
C|eaning grout off tile

There are colored grout sealers. Go to www.aquamix.com and take a look at their products.