removing carpet adhesive from saltillo

Old 02-11-02, 06:41 PM
Dr. Bob
Visiting Guest
removing carpet adhesive from saltillo

we are pulling up carpet that was glued over saltillo tile. How do we remove the adhesive (they slathered it on pretty good) without causing tile-damage or brain-damage (from solvents)?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-02, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing adhesive from saltillo

Go to www.aquamix.com and take a look at their Problem Solver products. They also have a saltillo care kit.

Old 02-15-02, 04:23 PM
Dr. Bob
Visiting Guest
Carpet adhesive remover

Many Thanks

Dr. Bob

Old 01-20-03, 12:47 PM
Dr. Bob
Visiting Guest
Unhappy expensive solution

We tried nearly every solvent on the planet, with little result. So we hired a professional stone and tile cleaning and restoration company. It turns out that the saltillo tile installed in our kitchen by earlier owners was imported from Mexico in the late 70's. It was unglazed, raw tile. Subsequent owners used acrylic floor polishes (like Mop 'n Glo) on the tiles and the stuff sunk in to the tiles. Ditto some of the carpet adhesive.

We did manage a bit of "do-it-yourself" on this project. We joined the restoration pros and got on our hands and knees and, using a couple of wallpaper steamers, an industrial-strength steamer with a stainless steel scrubber, and individual razor scrapers, managed to remove all of the adhesive and most of the acrylic. The acrylic was nearly impossible to get up. We have learned: if you use acrylic floor products, make certain that you like whatever is on the floor, because once it's down in a couple of layers, acrylic finishes are forever.

We finished the floor with linseed oil. It know has a soft, antique look that is pretty cool. Still, I'm not sure we would have started the project had we known it would be so labor-intensive and costly.

Old 01-20-03, 06:03 PM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
Well Bob,Saltillo is one of those tiles people either Love or Loathe. For you to put in the time restoring yours tells me your one of the ones that love it. Personnaly i would taken my demolition hammer to it. It always reminded me of a saturday moning in a college dorm after 12 students had too many tequila sunrises.

I have installed it a few times,Never liked it,but hey i dont get paid to like every tile i put in either.I will say that the custumers were thrilled when i was through though. See, no middle ground.love it or hate it

Old 01-25-03, 10:34 AM
hy
Visiting Guest
removal of adhesive

This job could easily and safely be done using the PEEL AWAY 5 paint removal product. It is a gel and it will do the removal after about a 2/3 hour dwell time. Safe and easy to use.

Old 01-25-03, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

The job should have been done by a floor refinishing company with experience in Saltillo tiles. Acrylic finishes over Saltillo and terracotta tiles have been the norm for nearly two decades, and stripping them eventually becomes necessary. It's work for large rotary floor scrubbers -- not hands and knees techniques.

I'm happy it all came out satisfactorily, though.