Showers, tile and grout

Old 02-22-02, 09:07 PM
Matilda
Visiting Guest
Showers, tile and grout

Five months ago I grouted along the bottom of my shower which has a fiberglass pan and tile walls (on the second floor ). After grouting I used a waterproofer and when that dried, caulked over the grout between the pan and tile walls. Now my floor is wet outside the shower. I removed the cover and fixture from the wall and determined there were no leaks there. Before I cut a hole in the back of the wall I wondered if anyone has any ideas. One plumbing fixture house I spoke to said its possible the caulk and waterproofing made the area so watertight that any seeping into the grout was possibly running off along the lip of the pan and onto the floor behind the wall. I don't understand this as I used a waterproofer on the whole tile wall. The caulk I applied has also mildewed underneath. Any ideas, anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-02, 06:32 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Matilda,

No grout down at the bottom where the tiles hit the shower bottom.

Take everything out of that joint, and let the shower dry out a couple days (yes, a couple days). It has to be completely dry back in those deep, dark areas before you install the SILICONE caulking all around the base. Let the caulking cure for at least a day before you turn the water on.

The key here is to let everything dry out before you seal the crack. The fact that you have mold BEHIND the caulking indicates that it was wet back there when you sealed it up.

Old 02-26-02, 03:05 PM
AGC
Visiting Guest
Mold also indicates a latex caulk. Make sure you are using a high quality silicone caulk. Use a small bead, then spray it with 409. The 409 will prevent it from sticking to areas you don't want it to stick to and give the caulk more workability. Finish by spraying 409 on your finger and smoothing the caulk joint.