Combination tile adhesive/grout

Old 03-04-02, 07:54 AM
almostgreen
Visiting Guest
Question Combination tile adhesive/grout

Does anyone know anything about the dual purpose stuff that is a premixed tile adhesive and grout? It says it can do both jobs. The thought is attractive to me because I don't have to worry about the thinset discoloring my grout lines. (I should note that I'm doing wall tile in a shower enclosure.) I cannot find either the word "thinset" or "mastic" on the label; nor does it list the ingredients.

Being a little on the inexperienced side, I'm not sure that the two products are that interchangeable, and I question the ability of a product to do two things; usually it won't do either one quite right. Are thinset and grout really all that different? Can I use the same thing on both jobs?

Can anyone lend a hand? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-02, 03:29 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
That pre-mixed stuff is awful. Especially in a shower....I think if you read the directions, it will say not for use in wet areas.
Tell us what your walls are made of, and we'll go from there. We can help you do this, if you give us some more information about the job.

Old 03-04-02, 08:57 PM
T
Miracle adhesive/grout

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Go to www.doityourself.com/ceramic for tips. Go to www.johnbridge.com and ask for help from the pros who hang out on the forums there and give the most professional advice in the industry.

Old 03-05-02, 07:03 AM
almostgreen
Visiting Guest
premixed combos

Adanac,
The walls are Durock cement board. Laid plumb and seams taped and coated. Installed rough side out. Ready for tile adhesive and tile. The tile is standard 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 bathroom tile.

All of the premixed stuff I am looking at indicates that it is okay for shower walls, but not recommended for shower floors.
When you say "the premixed stuff is terrible" what exactly are you describing?

Old 03-05-02, 12:36 PM
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
I second the johnbridge.com suggestion. They will answer your question, and tell you why. I think they answered almost this exact question within the past week!

Old 03-05-02, 03:05 PM
A
Jeez Guys! You keep sending people over to John Bridge's site, and there will be no reason to have this board here!(sorry John)
Almost..I'm discribing the stuff you mentioned..the premixed adhesive/grout combination...it's a waste of money. If you are at the point where you are ready to install tile..you have 2 choices...you can use mastic...which is easy to use...but will probably only last 5 years before you start having problems..or you can use thin set and it will last almost forever.
You should use a white thin set(versabond from Home Depot is good) and it can also be used on the shower floor. Draw a level line a little less than one full tile from the bottom of the shower..then nail a straight peice of wood along this line..this peice of wood will hold the tile up while the thin set drys(stops the tile from sliding down the wall)..do this all around your shower. After the walls are dry...take off the strip of wood and then tile the shower floor.(hopefully you have a waterproof membrane under your motar bed)...after the floor is installed....grout it with a sanded floor grout. After the floor is dry, you can now fill in the last row if wall tile against the floor tile. Now you can cover the floor with a peice of cardboard and grout the walls(cardboard keeps the floor tile clean...you can grout the walls before you put in the floor if you want..but you'll still have to grout that last row after the floor is in) Using non-sanded wall grout. After it is all dry, you should caulk all inside corners ...silicone is what I use......then after is is dry...you can use the shower!......if none of this makes sense...then you can go over to www.johnbridge.com....but I'll just tell you the same thing over there!

Old 03-06-02, 07:13 AM
almostgreen
Visiting Guest
thanks.
Won't have to worry about the floor, because I have a pre-formed pan at the bottom. All of the other info applies....

....and believe me I WON"T go to John Bridge....

Thanks for the info. You've told me what I wanted to know.

Thinset it is.

Old 03-06-02, 01:54 PM
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
Wink

Well, the Moderator suggested it first! This site is great, otherwise we all wouldn't be here, right? But I have not seen a site in any subject as supportive to DIYers (and with real, professional advice) as John's. I think there is room for both, but for some questions, a referral is the best answer, I think.

Old 03-06-02, 05:10 PM
A
Moderator?...what moderator?

Old 03-07-02, 12:59 AM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
I've never tiled a shower floor before, but I used mastic for wall tiles in my tub surround (which has a shower, so the walls get wet everyday) and at 6 1/2 years and counting, it's holding fine. The only problem I've had at all was 2 small areas of grout I had to repair a year or so ago. We never used the premixed stuff, so what wore away was the powdered grout you mix yourself (although I had never used a grout sealer). When I patched it, I just bought a little grout repair kit that comes with a tube of premixed grout. So far that's held up fine. In fact, I can't even find the spot I repaired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: