Underlayment

Old 03-06-02, 10:34 AM
B
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Underlayment

Hi:
I am getting started on a kitchen remodel and have demolished everything down to studs and subfloor. I was intending to install Durock over the existing 1x8 (diagonal) subfloor, but am wondering if I wouldn't be better off with plywood from the standpoint of strength; the 1x8's seem a bit bouncy. I'd like to limit the thickness as much as possible to avoid a big difference in elevation at adjacent oak floors and the 1/2" thickness in either case will work great. What about an adhesive between the underlayment and subfloor, whichever I end up using?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-02, 05:06 PM
M
Michael McIntyr
Visiting Guest
You need a structurely sound subfloor for a successful install. The 1x8's will not do that for you. You'll need to put down 3/4 plywood followed by a layer of cement board (mortered and nailed) or ditra-mat.

Old 03-15-02, 09:09 AM
K
kliot
Visiting Guest
You should be fine with 1/2" backerboard over the 1x8's, that is assuming you have joists on 16" center. I just did a kitchen floor this way and it came out perfect and solid. CustomBuildingProducts has an instalation guide at http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...r_TCAF144.html