Tile Shower Floor Pulling Up

Old 03-20-02, 05:09 PM
catslife
Visiting Guest
Tile Shower Floor Pulling Up

Bought a house a little over a year ago and both bathrooms had been redone by a DIY. Says he used concrete backer board behind all the tiles and looks to have done a good job with the tile except around the floor in the standup shower.

They used 4" tiles on the walls/ceiling and 1" on the shower floor. The 1" tile appears to have pulled away from the floor since there is a hollow sound when you tap on one corner of the floor and you can push on it and get some movement.

Should I just remove the tile from the floor and if I see nothing wrong underneath then replace it?

There is also some grout cracking and falling out on the front of the shower curb outside the shower.

Looking for a little advice before I tear into it. Also, any advice on what I should look for when I remove the old tile.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-02, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
The only way to see what is wrong, is to remove what is loose...hopefully if the shower isn't leaking...a shower pan was installed under the motar bed below the tile. The cracked tile on the curb doesn;t sound promising..I'd rip this apart too..and see what's in there. Come back and describe what you see..and we can go from there.

Old 03-21-02, 12:45 AM
dynagirl
Visiting Guest
A few problems could cause the tiles to come loose. It could be that the backer board or shower pan underneath the tile wasn't properly set or it could be that he used mastic instead of thinset (mastic is okay for walls, but not for shower floors) and it's deteriorating. I would hope it's a problem with the adhesive because that can be fixed by ripping out the old tile and retiling (certainly a smaller job that removing and resetting the shower pan!).

As for the grout craking on the front of the shower curb, just ignore it until you know what the bigger issue is instide the shower. If that turns out to be nothing major, you can then fix the cracked grout on the front with a simple grout repair kit (little abrasive scraper to remove old grout and a small tube of premixed grout).

Old 09-19-09, 02:41 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by adanac View Post
Hi
The only way to see what is wrong, is to remove what is loose...hopefully if the shower isn't leaking...a shower pan was installed under the motar bed below the tile. The cracked tile on the curb doesn;t sound promising..I'd rip this apart too..and see what's in there. Come back and describe what you see..and we can go from there.
I see that someone nailed the metel lathe into the hot mopped pan @ the cub and it degraded into a leak in the downstairs apartment which the leak and damage are now fixed.

Old 09-20-09, 07:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
7 years old m8. ...............................................