Slate floor maintenance

Old 03-25-02, 09:50 AM
tain00
Visiting Guest
Slate floor maintenance

I have slate tile flooring throughout most of my home. I would like to obtain a higher gloss level. Any suggested products. I am currently using a "glaze-n-seal" product that does an adequate job but the floor looks somewhat washed out.

Old 03-25-02, 03:32 PM
DOG PAWS
Visiting Guest
There are alot of different brands carried at tile centers and home centers. I've had the best luck with two step processes. That is, a coat of sealer applied first and left to dry, then an additional coat (or two) of polish.

Old 03-30-02, 07:36 AM
mscsq
Visiting Guest
Have you tried polyurathane? My wife and I used slate for the top of table for our coffee machine. It worked really great. We applied it to the groute first and then using a different brush applied it to the tile. The groute being new, had small particles lose. We did not want that on top of the tiles. Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-02, 04:08 PM
Emullinaux
Visiting Guest
Angry Stains on Slate

One bit of caution - we recently installed slate tiles around the bathtub - and they were ostensibly sealed. They're now showing bottle rings - and other stains from who knows where. We've been in the house only a few weeks! Is it faulty sealant? Insufficient sealant? Or is there a way to clean stains?

Old 04-13-02, 03:45 PM
marble
Visiting Guest
slate should not react to water with a stain like a ring mark. Likely what was used to seal the slate with contains some acrylics that will turn white under water . Removing the impregnator/sealer will be a problem but could be done i feel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: