Tile over existing wood floor

Old 03-27-02, 04:22 PM
LSP
Visiting Guest
Question Tile over existing wood floor

Currently my front entrance brings you right on to the living room carpet (no foyer). I would like to remove a 4'x5' section of carpet and install a tile entryway so wet shoes stay off the rug. What is the best method of tiling over the existing T&G floor? New carpet will be installed and trimmed right to the tile edge. Thanks

Last edited by LSP; 03-27-02 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-02, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
You should add a layer of 1/4 inch Cement Board before you lay your tile. Set it in a bed of thinset(the same thinset you will use with your tile) and nail it also with galvanized roofing nails. Brands of 1/4 inch board include Hardiboard, wonderboard, or Durock...Hardi is most easy to use.

Old 03-27-02, 08:51 PM
LSP
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the quick reply! Iam new to the floor tile arena and that is why I did the post. I presume the board layer is to prevent the flexing of the wood from affecting the tile. Also, since this is a potential wet (not soaking but possible seepage) area will the grout have to be sealed like a bathroom tile? Do you recommend any plastic barrier or will the cement board suffice?

Old 03-27-02, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
The cement board is just more stable than the wood...wood tends to move a lot with changes in temperature and humidity. Hopefully the subfloor where you put the tile is solid..any movement in the subfloor is bad...the cement board will not stenghten the floor.
I don't think you'll have enough water there to worry about waterproofing. Sealing the joints will help to keep them clean.so yes..seal them if you think it would be a good idea.

Old 03-27-02, 09:17 PM
LSP
Visiting Guest
Smile

The floor seems to be stable enough. The joists are 16" center and there is no 'creaking' as I walk across it. Your advice is greatly appreciated and will help make a better finished product. thanks again!