restore shine to ceramic tile floor??

Old 04-12-02, 06:28 PM
equeen
Visiting Guest
Unhappy restore shine to ceramic tile floor??

I used a grout cleaner and guess I left it on the floor too long. The tiles are dull and will not come clean without scrubbing on hands and knees weekly. I was told I need to clean the floor and then apply a sealer but that the floor would never have a shine again. I don't know anything about ceramic tile (obviously!!). Any thoughts on this???

Old 04-12-02, 08:40 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi
I'm not sure what you did...you'd need a pretty strong solution of acid to etch the glaze on ceramic tile. What kind of tile and cleaner do you have?

Old 04-13-02, 06:57 AM
equeen
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure what I put on the floor to mess it up, it was something I got at Home Depot but realize now that maybe it was something I should have just used on the grout and not gotten on the tiles themselves. I tried TileLab grout and tile cleaner and all other types of stuff I can find at Home Depot. The tiles are white with blue diamonds where they join and I told the guy at HD my problem and he said to use baby wipes on them and that will clean it (and it does) but who wants to do that every week. It's like any dirt that gets on the floor, you can't just mop it and clean it. You have to scrub, scrub, scrub. I was just wondering about sealing it and if this was something I can do (female but pretty handy around the house) or if that won't help restore the shine to it, maybe I should just look at having new flooring put it. Don't want to live with this dull look.

Old 04-13-02, 03:19 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi
If you can't remember exactly what it was you used, then all I can do it guess what happened. You could give it a thorough cleaning and then put a floor finish on top...unfortunatley they only last a few months on ceramic, before you have to do it again...but it would be easier to clean. Find one that is recommended for ceramic and see what happens. I found this one while doing a search.
http://www.restore-a-floor.com/

Old 04-13-02, 04:33 PM
marble
Visiting Guest
Since you likely cleaned with an acid to etch the tile- now you have a more porous floor which dirt and oils now love better.
1) your can clean better but with a cleanser that can float up well and capture the dirt and oils - one that can effectively then transfer the dirt to the mop
2) if you want a shine for this you will need a special wax that is extremely hard and that will be very water resistant unlike most waxes. It should not yellow or require frequent re-coating.
Hope this helps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: