ceramic tile installation over concrete

Old 04-16-02, 07:49 PM
jimmyb777
Visiting Guest
Question ceramic tile installation over concrete

I am going to be tiling a portion of the concrete floor in our basement. I have read and heard that the best process is to apply a layer of thinset + underlayment+thinset+backerboard prior to laying down the tile to minimize the chance of cracks.

Q1) Do I need to screw the underlayment into the concrete or screw through the underlayment and backerboard into the concrete? And if I use 1/4" underlayment and 1/4" backerboard, what size and type of screws do I need?

Q2) Is there an alternative method to applying tile over concrete that would provide an equivalent result with minimal chance of cracks due to seasonal movement of the concrete?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-16-02, 09:55 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi
I'm a little confused by your terms..underlayment and backerboard. Concrete backerboard is not for concrete floors..it's for use over a wood subfloor. If your area is small ,and doesn't have any cracks, you could tile directly on the slab.The best thing to do though is to use a crack isolation membrane. It will separate the tile from the subfloor. Ditra would be my choice. Here's the link:

http://www.schluter.com/english/prod...601-index.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: