ceramic tile

Old 05-07-02, 10:36 AM
K. Woodfin
Visiting Guest
ceramic tile

I am installing ceramic tile through out a 2000 sq ft house and its 800 sq ft 2nd floor balcony. The house is 2 stories and is on the coast (if that makes a difference.) The inside of the house already has ceramic tile that I want to replace. The balcony area is presently just the concrete floor. My question is about what I need to do to get the floor ready to be tiled. The pre-existing ceramic tile is only inside the house and is on a concrete floor as well. Do I have to get all of the pre- existing tile up before putting new tile down, or can I tile over the old tile? Being that there is a little over 2000 sq feet of old tile and that I'm doing this myself, I was hoping not to have to take it all up, but I want to be sure and do the thing that makes that most since in the long run. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-02, 03:12 PM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
if you want long run - do it right - the tile has to come up. I doubt you have the height to do it over the old tile anyway - you will have to big a lip. Once the tile is removed you need to get up any remaining adhesive/thin set etc and the surface needs to be smooth. you may want to consider Ditra from www/schulter.com as an isolation membrane so cracks in the concrete don't come up to the tile. though it is expensive - 1.70 sq foot. 2000 sq ft is a lot for one DIY so budget lots of time!!! and recruit some helpers

Old 05-08-02, 07:14 AM
K. Woodfin
Visiting Guest
Diemeto,

Thanks for the advice. Keith