Backerboard or Not - for Ceramic Tile Backsplash?

Old 06-17-02, 12:03 PM
kcmarie122
Visiting Guest
Question Backerboard or Not - for Ceramic Tile Backsplash?

I am installing ceramic tile for my backsplash in my kitchen. One of the walls is uneven and damaged so I am planning on using 1/4" cement backerboard (wonderboard) to make it an even surface for laying the tiles. However, on another portion of the wall for the backsplash (completely seperate wall from the damaged wall), it is a plain plaster wall that has only been painted. My question is, do I need to put backerboard behind the tile that will go on the undamaged/finished wall? I ask because I would like to avoid adding any more bulk/depth to the wall in that area.

Will the adhesive hold the tiles onto the already finished wall or does it need something more significant to "grab" on to?

Kacy!

Old 06-17-02, 12:42 PM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
since it is not a "wet area" then I think backerboard it overkill. As far as a painted surface you run the risk of insufficent bond. If it is latex paint I wouldn't not worry about it. - you are still running a risk though

Old 06-17-02, 01:17 PM
kcmarie122
Visiting Guest
I only want the tile here to protect the wall from grease splatter(it is around the range). Since backerboard would be "overkill" what else could I use to reduce the risk of insufficient bond?

Does anything else provide enough of a gripping surface without the bulk. I'd use drywall but it only comes as thin as 1/2" I'm told. The paint is a latex satin finish paint.

Another note, I'm only going to be in this house another year or two before I sell it. Will it most likely last at least 2 years if I decide to adhere the tile right to the wall? In other words, I'm not expecting it to last 20 years so is it that big of deal? Or will the future homeowners hate me if they ever want to take it down and end up having to rip out a big hole in the plaster wall?

Thanks!
Kacy

Old 06-17-02, 01:31 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi
IF you rough up the paint with some coarse sand paper and make sure the surface is clean and grease free, then you shouldn't have problem going over it. If it's oil paint, that's another story..but if it's latex it will stick just fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: