Repairing loose tiles

Old 07-03-02, 01:47 PM
RobR
Visiting Guest
Repairing loose tiles

Hello,

My wife and I bought a townhouse a few months ago and the entire lower floor (living area, kitchen, etc.) is covered with tiles. However, we've found three loose tiles around the dining area. They make clicking noise when stepped on. They look perfectly normal and there are no visible cracks, although there is slightly more space around the edges.

I know nothing about tiles, so I'm curious as to what are done to repair loose tiles. Is there an affordable way to secure those tiles more firmly in place (i.e. a trick one can use around the edges)?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-02, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
Unfortunately any try at securing the tiles at the edges (the grout lines) would be short lived and the tile would start clicking again. The proper fix would involve removing the grout around the offending tiles with a grout saw (small, narrow file with a handle), getting the tile up, cleaning old adhesive from tile and floor, and securing with new adhesive. After a day or so, regrout. You will need to ensure you get a grout that will match the existing so that the repair will not be obvious. And exercise caution when pulling the tiles up that you don't chip or crack adjacent tiles. Good luck.

For tips on doing tile work, check you local Lowe's or Home Depot; they have classes frequently on working with tile.