Wonder Board and Plaster Walls

Old 07-18-02, 07:53 AM
jack5083
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Wonder Board and Plaster Walls

I'm redoing the shower in a house that is at least 40 years old. The shower currently has a tub with tile on the walls. I was planning on ripping out the tub to put in a show pan and replacing the walls with wonderboard and tile. The current walls above the current tile is plaster. Does anyone know the difference of the thickness between the plaster wall and the wonderboard? One last thing. The current tub is Cast Iron. I was told that this could easly be busted up with a five pound sledge. Is this true?
Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-18-02, 07:55 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
wonderboard has diff thicknesses and plaster can have many diff thicknesses - need to look at the specifc install. Cast iron is brittle and can be broken with a sledge - just protect you eyes

Old 07-18-02, 08:01 AM
jack5083
Visiting Guest
The difference in thickness. Is this something I should be concerned about? I can always put bull nose tile on the top to hide the difference in width.

Old 07-18-02, 10:34 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
If the plaster is thicker than you can build up the tile surface with a little thinset - for bigger diff you can put a nailing strip on the studs to hold the wonderboard out further. If the plaster is thinner you could notch the studs behind the wonderboard a little - not a lot

Old 07-20-02, 08:16 PM
duct tape
Visiting Guest
The best advice is to shim out the wonderboard.You can use cardboard lath,and this is avaviable at most home improvement stores.You want the surfaces to be as close as possible.You can measure the thickness of the existing plaster......which is 1/2 inch to 3/4.........make sure then that the wonderboard is secures to the 2x4 studs.

Old 07-20-02, 09:13 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
that's pretty good advice, Duct Tape.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: