tile subfloor; tile over tile, etc

Old 07-24-02, 07:50 AM
carmand
Visiting Guest
Question tile subfloor; tile over tile, etc

Last year I bought a 1955 home in Houston and now want to put down 12 or 13 ceramic tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. The flooring of this house is on 3/4" plywood and Im unsure of the stability of the foundation. There are recurring cracks in the sheetrock, mainly in straight lines along the ceiling, but the original ceramic tiles on the bathroom floors have not cracked.

Kitchen The current floor is vinyl sheets over linoleum squares. I will remove both layers before tiling. Will the black glue under the linoleum cause problems? I plan to use either Hardiboard or another backerboard between the plywood and tile. Can it be screwed to the plywood or should I use an adhesive and then screw them together? I want this subfloor to be as thin as possible. Will a 1/4" thickness be enough? I have also researched Schluter Ditra, which sounds wonderful because of the possibility of a shifting foundation. Is this worth the cost? I plan to keep this house for many years and am willing to pay extra for a floor that lasts.

Bathroom The 50 year old tile floor is in great shape, but outdated. Pulling up the old 4 tile would be a major undertaking. Is it OK to tile over it? If so, is there any special prep, or can I just clean it and put the thinset directly on the old tile? Does anyone have any tips for removing the wall tile without destroying the old sheetrock? It has a wire mesh behind it and is extremely solid on the wall.

Im getting different answers every time I ask questions. Im hoping to find a consensus that can point me in the right direction
thanks! Reggie

Old 07-24-02, 09:12 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
I would not tile over tile - it can be done but not ideal - ditra is great but is costly - I would used it. I think hardibacker says to screw and use thin set. If you are putting CBU over the floor and using screws and thin set you should not worry about the extra glue. Be careful with the vinyl not to create to much dust - use a mask and get the kids out. since you are in Houston try this website - it is great - a bunch of pros (some in houston) who will walk you through every step

www.johnbridge.com

Old 07-24-02, 01:37 PM
carmand
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I've posted my question on the other board. Now I just have to wait for some wonderful advice.

Reggie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: