Can I wallpaper over wallpaper that comes in manufactured homes??

Old 07-25-02, 05:48 PM
Lizzybizz
Visiting Guest
Question Can I wallpaper over wallpaper that comes in manufactured homes??

Can I wallpaper over wallpaper that comes in manufactured homes??

I recently purchased a used 99 manufactured home and in the kitchen and bathrooms it has wallpaper in it that came from the home builder....I am not sure what type of paper it is? I do know that it is stuck to drywall...

Old 07-26-02, 03:18 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You really have to. The stuff that comes in RVs, mobile homes, etc. is really a veneer that is laminated to the surface. Priming with a wallcovering primer is a must. Ensure the can SPECIFICALLY states "good for under wallcovering" or words to that affect, on the lablel. You will want to patch holes, remove obvious loose material etc. prior to priming. Once the primer is dry, hang your new paper. Best of luck!!

Old 08-01-02, 12:47 PM
Lizzybizz
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thank you for the advice I am treading on unknown territory..lol!! I think I better hire someone to hang my paper

Old 08-01-02, 01:29 PM
W
Don't be scared!!

If you are, there might be a professional who will do it for you that is listed on my website. To find one, click here.

Old 08-15-02, 02:46 AM
deften
Visiting Guest
i am also going through the same dilemma. i am about to close on a modular/manufactured home. the home owners did successfully wallpaper over top of the existing, factory installed, paper wallboard. (i say, go ahead an try to wallpaper over at least one room just to see if you have any problems before hiring a contractor. ) however, i simply do not like the "permanence" of wallpaper. i would rather paint my rooms on a whim. my question is...since these manufactured walls are now wallpapered, can i just paint over them like any other wallpapered surface?

Old 08-15-02, 05:13 AM
W
deften,

Your particular question is very hard to answer. Wallpaper that is professionally installed in a manufactured home should be very, very difficult to remove. If this is the case, then you might be better off painting over it. If you go to the top of this wallpaper forum, there is a sticky thread that deals with this subject.

However, you must play with the paper first and see if all the seam areas are tight. Also check to see any obvious loose spots, bubbles, or an other errors that would give you the impression that maybe stripping would be called for instead. Construction changes all the time with materials and I know that SOME of these types of home have papered wallboard. Papered wallboard is a material with a "wallpaper" laminate. This material SHOULD be painted/wallpapered over. If after close examination this is what you have, then paint away with confindence. If it appears to be real wallpaper over the walls, then you should attempt to strip it first, or there will be problems down the road. As I said though, pros take extra steps with these unique surface types and real wallpaper can be impossible to remove. My best advice would be to give removal a shot, if it fails........patch errors, prime, then paint away.

I wish you the best with your new home!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: