lifting a border's edge

Old 07-26-02, 09:23 PM
Basset Mom
Visiting Guest
lifting a border's edge

I am in the process of refreshing the interior of our guest room. The room had been previously decorated with a "wainscoat-type" section of wallpaper a painted section above and a wallpaper border as a trim - applied where the two sections meet.

I would like to now paper the painted section --- but keep the border if at all possible.

The border has been up for a couple of years and in perfect condition.

How do you suggest I might loosen and lift the edge of the border about an inch to allow for covering the new edge of paper?

Old 07-26-02, 10:01 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yours is a very tricky problem. A professional would cut the "top" wallpaper in-line with the existing border. That would probably be out of the scope for a DIYer like yourself.

There are two options I see for you.

1. Try to dry peel the border. Buy/get a good quality Olfa break-away blade knife. DON'T buy a cheapy, you will also be using this for the install of the wallpaper also. Buy the Olfa blades too. Extend it out of the holder and try to work it slowly between the wall and the border. With some luck, you may be able to start creating a gap between the wall and the border. You really only have to go down an inch or so. This method may only work on some parts of the wall too. Try not to use a metal scraper or other tool for this unless you are really careful. If you mar the border with big tools or poor technique, you are in trouble.

2. Wet the wall directly above the border with a sponge. Watch/make the water ride the wall/border junction. Wait several minutes and repeat. This should loosen the adhesive bond between the wall and the border allowing you to work your blade in there and lifting it. Place several toothpicks into your new gaps to hold them open. Once the entire section is done, allow the wall to dry at least 24 hours before you hang the new "top" wallpaper. The toothpicks will ensure your freshly created gap doesn't re-glue back to the wall.

Installing the new "top" wallpaper:

Place some toothpicks between the wallpaper and the border. Allow at least 24 hours for the wallpaper to completely dry. Then apply adhesive behind the border. A paint brush will help here. Smooth the border and remove the excess. You should use a special "border adhesive" for this step. This should be a two part process.... New wallpaper up then allowed to dry, followed by gluing of border to wallpaper. This prevents your border from pulling your new paper during the drying process.

Best of luck!!

Old 07-27-02, 07:17 AM
Basset Mom
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the suggestions. I feel a lot more comfortable with attempting to steam the edge - rather than "skin it" up.

However, I'm not a novice DIY-er when it comes to wallpaper. I've been doing it for almost 30 years - albeit not professionally - with fabulous results.

I had simply dismissed the cutting the new paper to the border's edge as a little TOO tricky. That, coupled with the fact that the border is actually running at eye level along the walls in that room - made me dismiss that option completely.

But, that having been said --
--using a vinyl paper and a good cutting blade do you think that is the option I should try first - before trying to lift the edge of the border?

Old 07-27-02, 12:45 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, you could certainly give it a shot if you feel comfortable with it. I would practice the technique first to see your results. Maybe with normal paper or a brown grocery sack first. The test pieces will give you a good indication as to how the final will turn out. I say practice and let that be your guide. I wish you the best!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: