First try...

Old 09-16-02, 01:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question First try...

My wife and I are making our first attempt at installing wallpaper, and it's a challenge. The design is in 3 parts: a wall paper for the lower half, a second for the upper half, and a border for the top. All three are vinyl.

Here are our questions:
1) The wall has the basic builder's flat/white paint. Do we need to use a primer or sealer?
2) How do we handle the vertical seams? Do we overlap the top wallpaper over the bottom? If so, how much?
3) What about the border? Do we run the upper wall paper high enough that the border will overlap it? If so, how much?
4) Do we need to worry about shrinkage?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-17-02, 04:17 AM
B
some answers....

1. Primer/sealer needed? Thats a big YES. Otherwise removal of the wallpaper becomes a huge and difficult messy job. Best product is Shieldz which is a primer and sizing all in one.
A tip: Have the Shieldz tinted to match the background of the paper. Then if the paper shrinks a bit along a seam, it will be almost invisible.

2. Vertical seams? Thats a personal choice. Usually theres no overlap but there is a border thats put over the seam to transition from one design to the other.

3. Yes, run the paper all the way to the ceiling. You get a neater job.

4. Shrinkage? This depends on your skills. Most h/o's stretch the paper too much so they get a lot of shrinkage. Proper prep and technique eliminates much of the stretch, so eliminates a lot of the shrinkage. Using the Shieldz helps a lot. Also use a paste activator instead of plain water for the pre-pasted paper. These two products make positioning the paper easier with less stretch.
Another factor is the quality of the paper. Remember to have the shieldz tinted to match the background of the paper. Follow directions for proper booking time.

Finally - You'll need vinyl-to-vinyl paste for the border. Regular paste won't stick to the paper underneath the vinyl.

Old 09-17-02, 04:27 PM
W
1. I agree with BobF. If you don't use/can't find Shieldz, you MUST use a primer that specifically states on the can "for use under wallcoverings" or other similar phrase.

2. Vertical seams? There really shouldn't be any. You should butt the seam areas together. For additional assurance that they won't part on you, use a seam roller on the seams 10 minutes after putting up your paper.

3. I agree with BobF.

4. No. As previously stated, allow the material to book for the amount of time stated on the directions. If it doesn't state, then go for 10 minutes. Booking controls expansion and releases bubbles in your activated adhesive. I might even suggest regular wallpaper adhesive thinned out 50/50 with water instead of activator as BobF mentioned. Either route will give you additional adhesive staying power and will provide better insurance for a long term installation. Be sure to use vinyl over vinyl adhesive or border adhesive on your adhesive.

BobF pretty much stated the case and I agree with his advice. I hope this is a fun and rewarding project for you, please let us know of the results!

Old 09-18-02, 04:09 AM
B
vertical/horizontal

Thanks, Wallpaper.

I just looked at question two again. I addressed a question about HORIZONTAL seams, the transition between one design on the bottom and another design on the top.

If you are talking about VERTICAL seams, seams that run top to bottom, then definitely no overlap.

BTW - you didn't ask but here's something to consider anyway. Don't just split the wall in half for the two papers. It looks much better to have the bottom paper go up to "chair rail" height and no further. Its also better to have the "heavier" looking paper on the bottom and the "lighter" looking paper on top so the room looks balanced.

Also - have lots of blades for the trim knife. You can use a blade a couple (few?) of times before its too dull to cut the paper. Then it will tear the paper. You can snap off the end to get a sharp point again, but the blade won't last forever.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: