wallpapering over wood

Old 12-05-02, 05:14 AM
islandalleykat
Visiting Guest
Unhappy wallpapering over wood

My husband and I have built a barbir sized dollhouse and we can't get the paper to adhere properly...any suggestions?

Old 12-05-02, 10:58 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wallpapering over rough surface

Wallpapering over rough surface has been such a frequent post on this forum that our expert Wallpaper has posted a sticky at the top of the forum page. Click and read about bridging material.

Old 12-05-02, 04:30 PM
W
With much respect to my fine fellow moderator....

This issue is a little different. The are talking about doll house wallpaper. Seems kind of odd, but many wallpaper companies specifically make their traditional wallpapers in notebook paper size, pattern reduction wallpapers specifically designed for doll houses. We are not talking small wallpaper companies, but some of the more upscaled and high $$$ companies.

For wood in the application that you are dealing with I only have suggestions and not perfect advice. You might do a search and see if you can find a doll house forum for better assistance as well. I would try 3 things. Dilute Elmer's glue slightly with water and apply your paper. Use a border adhesive on your paper. Or lastly, use a primer over the wood and then use regular wallpaper paste or diluted Elmer's glue. Those are also the order in which I would try them, from least to most complicated.

I hope your project turns out fun and I am glad to see that you chose wallpaper. That is definately the hard road with regard to a doll house!

Old 12-05-02, 05:16 PM
T
Installing dollhouse wallpaper

Interior Finishing

Wallpaper

Wallpapering your dollhouse is fairly easy if you apply the following pointers:

It will usually require 3 sheets of wallpaper for normal sized rooms and 2 sheets for halls and bathrooms.

Make sure that you match the patterns on the different pieces of wallpaper so that the finished product is correct.

All interior walls must have at least 1 coat of paint before wallpaper is installed.

First cut the wallpaper for the furthest walls in the dollhouse from where you are working. use your metal ruler and Xacto knife, not scissors. Cut this paper 1/2" wider than the wall is so that you have a slight wrap onto the adjacent side wall. Remember our adage of "measure twice, cut once"? This applies to wallpaper too.

Liberally apply the wallpaper gel on the back side of the wallpaper with a stiff brush. Use a wet sponge if using prepasted paper.

Wallpaper right over door and window openings. After the wallpaper paste dries, the openings can easily be cut out with an Xacto knife. Remember that doors and windows should not be glues in permanently at this point.

Next, cut the sidewall paper to fit from the inside corner to the outside edge of the dollhouse. Apply paste (gel) and install.

Note that wallpaper stretches in length, not width. Fit paper exactly to the ceiling. Any shortage or overage can be covered by baseboard or fold under the flooring.

Interior Finishing. Spencer Little on the Web. Retrieved 05 December 2002. http://www.spencer-little.com/sys-tm...hing/#Interior

This is a great website if you are a dollhouse builder. Copy and paste the address. Omit http: and .

Old 12-06-02, 10:32 AM
W
You go twelvepole!!

I did a little searching as well for the subject and all I could find was places to buy doll house wallpaper. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: