hangingwallpaperonceiling

Old 12-07-02, 06:25 AM
danalong
Visiting Guest
hangingwallpaperonceiling

i would like more info on hanging wallpaper on ceiling my paper has fallen off wiyh regular hanging. HELP!

Old 12-07-02, 07:32 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, my first thoughts would be, don't do it. You're probably going to have a lot of problems with it.

But, if you still want to, use a light paper-type wallpaper, not vinyl, not grasscloth, nothing heavy, just paper. Use a heavy-duty paste, like a 50 weight paste (this is used for hanging heavy wallpaper border.) Our resident wallpaper expert will probably have some more good tips for you too.

Good luck!

Old 12-07-02, 10:07 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My thanks to SafeWatch for offering an opinion. It is not often I see a guest respondant.

The funny thing about wallpaper.....it has more applications than it's name suggest. You can do floors and ceilings with it. Yes, I did say floors too, but that is another matter.

Ceilings are done no differently than walls and are perhaps easier to do. This is because there aren't too many cut outs to perform. It is really straight forward. It does have the Michelangelo pitfall though. Paste in the eye is not pleasant.

I would start by getting some Professional 880 adhesive. The only sell the 5 gallon size at Home Depot etc., so I would get it at Sherwin Williams or other wallpaper store where they sell it in one gallon containers. Thin this down 50% with water and mix well. Then apply this to the back of the wallpaper using a paint roller. Book your wallpaper according to the label instructions. Don't have them?? Then book it for 5 minutes. Booking is where you fold the wallpaper paste side to paste side and allow all the gases to cook off. The lack of adequate booking time causes bubbles, so if you see a bunch after installation increase your booking time.

Hanging...you REALLY should con someone into helping you. If you have to do it solo, get a broom or sponge mop as your assistant. You can use this to roughly smooth out the wallpaper until you have a chance to go over it well. You could also drape your excess over a ladder or some other high up device that you construct. The goal is to provide support to the end you aren't working on. This isn't an issue on the wall because the hanging end will be supported by the top you are working on.

Once the strip is up and smoothed tightly to the wall surface, it will not come off. The use of a quality plastic smoother (sand that edge first!) and Professional 880 adhesive will ensure this. If you need additional clarification, please respond back. Also, please post your results and any tips YOU have!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: