wallpaper over paneling

Old 01-22-03, 08:05 PM
jcc763
Visiting Guest
wallpaper over paneling

Getting ready to put wallpaper over paneling. I was going to use drywall mixture to fill in groves of paneling first and going to sand if needed. My question is what is my next step? Should I prime walls or just use an acrylic sizing before wallpapering. Would appreciate any feedback.

Old 01-22-03, 08:21 PM
drewsaum
Visiting Guest
wallpaper over paneling

There is a product that you need to find. It is a coarse sort of wallpaper that forms a "base" that you can put over panneling or cinderblock. It will bridge and fill the grooves and present a smooth base for your "finish" wallpaper.
Sorry, can't remer the name of the product.

Old 01-23-03, 07:31 AM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
I used the product he's describing to cover my paneling prior to applying wallpaper. Unfortunately I can't remember the name either. Got it at Sherwin-Williams paint store. Makes for excellent results. Highly recommend over patching and sanding.

Old 01-23-03, 09:23 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The material that escapes the minds of the other respondants is bridging material, it is also called wall liner. That is another option for you if you choose that route.

If you do just want to fill the gaps, that is fine too. Wall liner allows you to skip that step and is easier to do in the long run though.

Anyway.....If you do spackle the grooves, you want to sand and make the wall smooth. I assume that your paneling is like 99% of other "wood" paneling. That is to say it is really veneer that is hard and slick. If this is the case you want to "paint" the wall with a prep coat prior to hanging your paper. This is a special wallpaper "primer" and you HAVE TO buy one of these brands and NO OTHERS: Roman's R-35, Zinsser's Z-54, California Paint's Prep' N Size, Golden Harvest's BITE, Muralo's Adhesium, Swing Paint's Prep-Coat, or Benjamin Moore's Wall-Grip. If the paint guy tries to give you another brand/type give him one of these: and walk out.

Prep Coats are designed for slick, non-porous surfaces like paneling. I used it once on a stainless steel elevator to before I hung a mural on it. Once it is "dry" is has a tacky feeling, that is normal, so don't let it bother you. Best of luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: