paneling/wallpaper/paint/wallpaper

Old 02-24-03, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paneling/wallpaper/paint/wallpaper

I've been stripping the wallpaper off the paneling in my bedroom per the instructions given here in the forums and it has been easier. Thank you for the instructions!

However, I've come across a couple of walls that when I removed the border and wallpaper (done half wall height), I discovered that underneath is more wallpaper and border, but it has been painted over. How on earth do I get it off?

Thanks,

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-03, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow....welcome to the "don't paint over wallpaper" club. Painted wallpaper comes in two forms, easily stripped and a real pain. The same rules apply for painted paper actually. Run a razor knife across it making a horizontal line across one full strip. Pry your knife under this line to get a start on the corner of the paper and try pry the paper up. Sometimes peeling bottom to top is good, other times top to bottom, it just depends on your paper. Side to side tearing is almost always a bad idea. This type of peeling should take off the top layer of your paper along with the paint. If this occurs, you are lucky and the rest is soaking the backing material off. If this fails, you will have to buy one of the wallpaper scoring tools like the PaperTiger or Wallverine to poke hole in the painted paper. Then soak, wait, soak, strip with metal bladed stripping tool or spackle knife. I do wish you the best with this.