Wallpapering Ceiling

Old 03-28-03, 08:47 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wallpapering Ceiling

I have never wall papered before (did do a border that looked great). I really want to wallpaper my celing in my basement with a grasscloth - a very textured one at that! Kind of looks like miniature flat bamboo. ANYWAYS - I know I have to prime with something called "sizer" i think. Alos what does it mean when a pattern says to "Reverse alternate strips when hanging" and what is "Randon Match" ?

The pattern I like doesn't say that, but haven't quite made a decision which I am getting so I am curious to know.

Any other suggestions in doing a celing would be GREATLY appreciated.....I am also very concerned about he best way to camoflouge a seem......the length is 12 feet on the roll and the lenght of my ceiling is 18 feet.

Thank you all
Sandy

Old 03-29-03, 04:46 PM
W
Well, my advice is to hire a pro to do this for you. If you have never hung paper before you are opening yourself up for all kinds of trouble when attempting a ceiling paper as your first aside from the fact that it is a grasscloth, which is more tricky to install in the first place. Rather than give you detailed advice, think about what I said and determine if this is in your budget or not. If you have to do it yourself, respond back to this post and I will assist as I can.

Old 04-01-03, 05:18 AM
S
Rebecca - I understand what you are saying, but I moved to an area 6 years ago and it is SO frustrating trying to get any sort of help! (plumbers, handyman, landscape etc). They advertise but when you call them you don't get even a courtesy calling saying that they are too busy or whatever. I don't understand it. That is why I am finishing my basement myself (built walls, drywall, mudding etc)

So I decided to return the grasscloth and get something easier to work with. BUT Lowes topld me all Grasscloth is non-returnable.

Looks like I have to do this myself any way I look at it.
Please help.......Any tidbits would be grately appreciated. Should I check out the website you have? WIll that help?
I am in no big hurry to get started, so respond when you can.
THANK YOU
SAndy
PS - I already primed with something called Shieldz - it's pre-wallpaper primer.

Old 04-01-03, 05:31 AM
S
Rebecca - I understand what you are saying, but I moved to an area 6 years ago and it is SO frustrating trying to get any sort of help! (plumbers, handyman, landscape etc). They advertise but when you call them you don't get even a courtesy calling saying that they are too busy or whatever. I don't understand it. That is why I am finishing my basement myself (built walls, drywall, mudding etc)

So I decided to return the grasscloth and get something easier to work with. BUT Lowes topld me all Grasscloth is non-returnable.

Looks like I have to do this myself any way I look at it.
Please help.......Any tidbits would be grately appreciated. Should I check out the website you have? WIll that help?
I am in no big hurry to get started, so respond when you can.
THANK YOU
SAndy
PS - I already primed with something called Shieldz - it's pre-wallpaper primer.

Old 04-01-03, 01:36 PM
W
No refund on grasscloth?? Well, every store has it's own crazy policies. Below is a hodge-podge of advice as it comes to me.

You have done the first step right, using a wallcovering primer. Get some Professional 880 adhesive at Lowe's/Home Depot. Thin this out by 20-25% with water and use it as your adhesive. Get a QUALITY break off blade knife. Olfa is the easiest to find, but you may have to go to a paint store to get one as I don't think they sell them at the big box stores. Buy a bunch of break off blades for it. A 50 pack will run you $9-$15 if you get them at a paint store. Some craft stores sell these knives/blades too, but beware of their "craft store prices". With every cut, snap a new blade.

Apply the adhesive to the back of your wallpaper and book it. Booking is where you fold it paste side to paste side and allow gases to escape from the adhesive. Booking time should be from 5-10 minutes and MAY be written on the instructions for your paper. If it comes with any that is.

Check your wallpaper before you hang it. You may need to reverse hang it. Reverse hanging is where you pull off a sheet from the roll and hang it. Your next sheet is done the same way, but you turn it around, where the bottom is now the top and the top is the bottom. This is done to hide any shading in your wallpaper. Shading is caused by more colorant on the left/right side of the paper than the other. Reverse hanging will stop the light/dark paneling effect. Now it will appear as a soft light/light, dark/dark ripple effect if you understand my meaning. Check you paper roll to roll and edge to edge. Even if the instructions state for you to reverse hand, if you see no shading from one roll to another and from one side of the roll to the other side, you can safely hang the paper normally. Sometimes you will run into a roll that is darker than the others. Try to hang this in a less noticeable portion of the room.

Don't worry about the match. Random match means that there is no way to match up this paper. Occasionally you will run into a grasscloth that can be matched. This is done by matching up the fibers of the grass from one sheet to the next so that in theory you will have a perfectly horizontal series of lines throughout your room. This doesn't mean that the last roll will be off and blow this out of the water though.

Sizer? Forget it, you have Zinsser Shieldz on your walls, this is all you need.

Seams......You ARE going to have them with grasscloth, there is no way around it. A pro could probably camoflage it, but those tricks are not something I would recommend that an amateur partake of. Some papers are just "seamy" and grasscloth is one of them.

DO NOT get any adhesive or water on the face of your grasscloth and if you do, wipe it up immediately. Grasscloth loves to stain up where water comes in contact with it. There are some that just refuse to stain, but always play it on the safe side. You should do some testing with scraps of your paper and see how well it does. If it is really "stainy", you might consider some ScotchGuard or other water repellant solution. Remeber to test it out to see if you can live with the color change, if any, that ScotchGuard can do to your wallpaper.

For additional assistance, refer to The Complete Guide To Wallcovering by David M. Groff. This book is the "bible" of wallpapering and will explain things in more detail. It can be found at Home Depot/Lowes for around $12 or so. Best of luck and let me know if you need additional clarification and how it turns out once you are done!!

Old 04-02-03, 01:12 PM
S
OK - Lot's of good info there! By the way, a guy DID call me back but wanted $225.oo. I just can't swing that right now. But he did mention that I need 18 rolls, which I don't understand.
If I have a 18 ft by 18ft celiling, He was saying I needed 18 rolls (not 8 like I ordered) so that I don't have a seam at the end....but won't I have one regardeless?? He really has me confused.
The Grasscloth comes 36' wide and 4 yards long (however I told him 4.5 yards long) but regardless, I will still have a seam. He insists I won't if I get the 18 rolls????????????

Rebecca, I'll leave you alone after this one - can you enlighten me as to what he is saying? Saturday I am going to be near the Lowes store and will also look for that book.
I THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH!

Sandy
PS - Uh....you don't happen to live near Rochester NY do ya? LOL!

Old 04-02-03, 05:36 PM
W
Your are very welcome for my assistance and I hope this project turns out to your satisfaction. Sadly, I am not near NY.

As far as the 18 rolls....... I have no idea what he was talking about. I hope that somehow he got confused. 18X18 with a 12ft long roll = seams. Maybe my math is wrong, but maybe he planned on hand-looming some of the extra rolls to form a continuous one.

Also.......since you are doing a ceiling, try to get a helper. You can start with the beginning of a piece and have your assistant support the rest of the roll while you smooth on what you can work with in your hands. If a helper is unavailable, use a broom as your helper. Rough smooth out some portions of the wallpaper just enough to get it to stick and support it's own weight. Alternately, you could use another tall ladder to drape the opposite end of your paper over to provide support. Hanging ceiling papers alone is no fun, that is why I married a guy over 6ft tall!

Old 04-03-03, 10:25 AM
S
Wonderful ideas.....I should be able to get a helper, talked to a few freinds yesterday and had some volunteers.
WEll - the paper comes in on the 11th.....at some point after that, I will post and let you know how beautiful of a job I (we) did!

Thanks again
"Happy Hangin'"
Sandy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: