removing wallpaper from paneling

Old 07-01-03, 11:45 AM
barb6241
Visiting Guest
removing wallpaper from paneling

Hi -

We just acquired a summer home where there is a very ugly paper wallpaper applied over some pretty nice paneling. We want to remove the wallpaper. There is no bridging under the wallpaper.

We have been able to peel off small amounts, using our fingers only, and the paneling appears to be in good condition. What we have peeled off seems to leave no traces of glue. However, it is very slow going.

What can I use to speed up the process without worrying about damage to the paneling? IOW, can I use the water/detergent mixture? What tool, besides fingernails, can I use to scrape off the wallpaper, and not damage the paneling.

Thank you so very much.

Barb

Old 07-02-03, 05:46 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can use the water/Dawn solution I recommended in my post. In fact, I would definately use it as it will aid in not only the adhesive removal, but removing whatever grime is on the wood surface. Use a plastic scraper to remove. You can usually find these alongside their metal cousins in the patching/plastering section of your home improvement store.

Old 07-02-03, 08:42 PM
barb6241
Visiting Guest
Thank you.

Barb

Old 07-28-03, 07:51 PM
barb6241
Visiting Guest
Well, it turns out that our "paneling" is actually 4' wide pieces, with beveled edges, that have a paper printed with a wood grain pattern very smootly laminated on them. This has a very ugly wallpaper over it.

As I said, we have been successfully able to remove some of the top layer with our fingers. When we tried wetting the wallpaper, we also softened up the paper surface of the panels, which lifted off in spots as we started to scrape. We stopped immediately, before any serious damage was done.

Is there anyway we can remove the top layer without damaging the one underneathe? Thanks,

Barbara

Old 07-29-03, 05:13 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is no guarnatee that stripping the top layer won't effect the bottom layer, sorry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: