painted wallpaper

Old 07-16-03, 06:15 PM
Mom2Z
Visiting Guest
Angry painted wallpaper

I just bought a home in which the previous owners recently painted over the wallpaper. The problem is that they tried to peel off the old wallpaper and whatever they couldn't remove they just painted over which, of course, looks terrible. (In fact, they may have actually used a white primer and not paint because the walls look very streaky.) Since it was painted so recently (within the last 6 months) there are no peeling corners or buckeling to aid in my peeling it. I'm assuming the typical soapy water, when applied, will not make a dent in removing the paper. Is my only option to score it and apply a commercial wallpaper removal product? Any input is appreciated as I've never removed wallpaper before.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-03, 03:44 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sometimes painted wallpaper is easier to remove than normal wallpaper. You don't need anything other than the instructions at the top post in this wallpaper forum and a little guidance. How to get a start is by using a razor. Make a horizontal slit across your wall, then work the blade under the paint/wallpaper layer and there you have it! Pull off the facing (decorative) layer of the paper and you should only be left with the paper backing material. Attack this with the water/soap solution and it should come right off. If it doesn't, use your allies....time and water, it will come off. If for some reason the facing doesn't want to come off, use a wallpaper scoring tool or the REALLY rough sandpaper (20-60 grit) you find in the floor refinishing dept of Lowes. Score the paper with the tool, or scratch the surface layer with the sandpaper. Then, spray on your removal solution, let soak, spray, let soak, spray and start stripping/peeling away.