how to hang a border

Old 10-25-03, 08:13 PM
laurik1ke
Visiting Guest
how to hang a border

I am thinking of putting up a wallpaper border in my utility room. I am inexperienced at it. I have been reading the "how to" websites and think I understand things. Are borders as easy as it sounds and can they really be put up by just one person? If anyone has any tips I would very much appreciate it. I would be putting the border up right at the top of the ceiling. I would love to know if there is a video out. I am much better at seeing that reading instructions.

Old 10-26-03, 07:29 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wish I could show you how, but I'll try to tell you how.

First, measure the width of border, then subtract 1/4".
For example, if the border is 7" tall, then use 6 3/4".
Using that measurement, go around the room, using a pencil, and measure down from the ceiling 6 3/4" (whatever your measurement was determined to be), every foot or two, and make a small pencil mark.

Using these marks as your guide line, brush on a good quality WALLPAPER primer. Let dry, preferably overnight.

Paste the back of the border with a Heavy Duty Clear pre-mixed adhesive. I thin mine down slightly with water to make it smooth and creamy. Apply a thin, even coat with a short nap roller, 3/8" or 1/2".

You must 'book' the border after pasting, which means folding it in on itself, paste to paste. When hanging it by myself, I book it 'accordian style'. That means I paste about 2 feet, then fold it over, then paste 2 more feet, then fold it again, paste to paste. Never fold it so the FRONT of the border touches the paste. Always the backing to backing.

Start hanging in a corner, the most inconspicuous one, most likely above or behind the door. Position the border on the wall with about 1/4" wrapping around the corner. Then unfold 1 fold, 2 feet, and position on the wall and smooth out with wallpaper skimmer. Use a push pin or tack to keep it in place, all the while holding the rest of the border, still folded, in your hand. Climb down off the ladder, reposition ladder over about 2-3 feet, climb up and undo next fold and hang. And so on, and so on.

When you paste the second border, and start hanging it, overlap 2nd onto 1st to make the pattern match. Leave overlapped and keep hanging down the wall. We will come back to the overlaps later.

When you get to a corner, smooth the border into the corner nice and tight. Then using a trim guide, (I use a stiff 6" spackle knife), cut the border dead in the corner. Take the remaining border, overlap the corner back onto the 1st wall about 1/4" and start hanging down the wall. Before moving away from the corner, take the 1st walls piece and lift it up, allowing the overlap to go under it. Resmooth down and you will have a nice, tight looking corner.

Do this around the room until you get back to where you started. When you come to that corner, cut the last piece dead in the corner over your first corner overlap, making sure to be careful not to cut through the first corner overlap.

Now go back to your pattern overlaps, (where each new border started), and using your trim guide, determine the middle of the overlap. Cut vertically through BOTH layers of border, being careful not to cut into the wall. Then remove the excess from the top layer, and lift up top layer and remove excess from bottom layer. Then smooth back down, and you have just created a seam between the two borders. This is called 'doublecutting'. If it is slow going, or you have alot of borders to put up, you might want to go back to your pattern overlaps after every other border and do your doublecuts so they don't start drying too much and stick together.

Make sure to wipe all the adhesive of the facing of the border, especially at the corners, and the overlapped doublecuts.

Hope this helped. If it wasn't clear enough, post again and I'll try to explain it a different way. It sure is easier showing than telling.

Old 10-26-03, 07:18 PM
laurik1ke
Visiting Guest
wallpaper border

prowall guy,

Thank you for the directions, I printed them off. I just painted the walls last week one coat of latex primer and two coats of top grade sherwin williams semi gloss latex paint Should I let this paint set first before I put that border primer on? I wish I had known I was going to even try a border because I wouldn't have put the semi gloss over the primer for those last 6 inches or so. I am either getting too gutsy with this painting decorating thing, or I am getting in over my head bigtime!

Old 10-27-03, 05:24 AM
Let it dry just a couple days before priming.

When wiping adhesive off the border, use a CLEAN sponge, and towel dry when finished. This will keep drips and water marks from showing on the semi-gloss.

Old 10-27-03, 05:30 AM
laurik1ke
Visiting Guest
Wallpaper Borders

Thanks I will let you know when the room is finished or destroyed!

Yours were the first instructions that I actually understood, especially about overlaps.

Old 10-27-03, 11:10 AM
RIGHT ON!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: