Adhesive marks on new wallpaper

Old 11-26-03, 10:03 AM
emain
Visiting Guest
Adhesive marks on new wallpaper

Can anyone help. We have just had the hall and stairs papered by a professional decorator, with a vinyl paper. He had problems with the edges and has used a strong adhesive to try and overcome this. Unfortunately, we have been left with shiny marks at the seams and also splashes and finger marks - they shine in certain lights. I have tried washing them off but without success. Some marks could be cased by too hard rolling over the edges but the dried adhesive is definately showing - has anyone any ideas how I can remove this? Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Old 11-26-03, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Mix some removal solution, (Dif, Safe & Simple, etc.), with some warm water, and spray it on the areas. Let sit a few minutes, and try to sponge off. Not knowing the type of adhesive the hanger used makes this just an educated guess. And speaking of the hanger, you should call him back to wash off his work. This type of error is unacceptable. How hard is it to wash the paper off as you hang it?

Old 11-26-03, 02:02 PM
emain
Visiting Guest
Adhesive Marks on Wallpaper

Thank you for the advice - unfortunately the brand names are not known to me - I am located in Scotland. Perhaps you could tell me what would the active ingredient is and I can check and see what is available locally.

Old 11-26-03, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have no idea what the active ingredients are, I try not to play chemist

Perhaps you could tell us what type of adhesive was used, and we might be able to help that way.

Some other solutions to try would be a little dish detergent, liquid fabric softener, or white vinegar, each mixed with water. Test in a small inconspicuous spot, to make sure it won't discolor the vinyl.

Old 11-27-03, 12:59 AM
emain
Visiting Guest
Adhesive marks

Your information is appreciated. I will try out your suggestions and if nothing works will endeavour to find out which adhesive was used. Usually this decorator is excellent, I don't know what happened this time.

Old 11-27-03, 09:48 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
call the hanger

Ask the hanger what was used. I doubt it was wallpaper paste. It could be white glue (which works well and is water soluable) or it could be crazy glue. Or it could be another type of glue. Until we know what it is, we're guessing on how to remove it.

Old 11-27-03, 02:20 PM
emain
Visiting Guest
adhesive marks

Response appreciated. We will try and find out what was used.
It could have been Solvite.

Old 11-30-03, 03:01 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like he used a border overlap adhesive. On a vinyl this should come off with soapy water..However..If he has pressed to hard with the seam roller it can compress the paper in a tram line and leave a shine in some cases.
You really should ask him to put this right..

Old 11-30-03, 09:02 AM
emain
Visiting Guest
adhesive marks

There are definately adhesive marks. So far I have not managed to get them removed although I have tried warm water with washing up liquid - however, I did think there was a slight improvement so I will try again. Vinegar did not work at all.

I know we should speak to the decorator but he has always been excellent in the past and is such a nice person. I feel that there is perhaps something wrong and do not want to make matters worse for him - rather difficult. As a last resort, I think we will buy some extra rolls of paper (the batch number is still available) and we will re-do the worst wall ourselves when spring comes.

It has been really good to get the advice. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: