Striped Wallpaper

Old 11-30-03, 03:20 PM
judy reis
Visiting Guest
Striped Wallpaper

I had a previous question that Bob F answered. thank you but I probably didn't make myself clear. I know how to make sure the stripe is straight up and down, but the wallpaper has different size stripes (wide and thin). How do you make sure you will have a continuous pattern when the fourth wall meets the first. If your first paper on the first wall starts with a large stripe , thin stripe, large stripe, thinstripe, etc., How do you know that your last paper on the fourth wall, meeting the first wall ,will be continuous and not have two wide or two thin stripes together? I hope this makes sense. Thanks

Old 11-30-03, 05:23 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
you should be able to get a close guess by measuring the linear feet of the room in inches and dividing by the width of the paper the fraction left over is approximately the portion of the last sheet.
It may be easier if a door is close to the corner start at that corner so if there is that sort of odd matchit's only in the 14 inches above the door.(not noticeable)

Old 11-30-03, 05:40 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mudders advice is spot on! There will always be a miss-match with wallpaper. This is called the kill point. Plan the kill point so that it occurs where it is least noticeable such as above a doorway or window.

Old 12-02-03, 12:25 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
When I'm hanging a room with a stripe, I know the odds of it matching at the 'kill point' are 50%. When I get to the last wall, I start looking ahead. When I get 4-5 pieces away from the kill point, I measure and see how the stripes will land. If its not going to end right, I start 'shrinking' my pieces at that point.

For example, you said your paper is 2 stripe, 1 large and 1 small. The large one is more visual so go with that. Lets say the large stripe is 2". I have measured and determined that 2 large stripes will fall side by side at the kill point. I'm 5 strips away from the end. So each piece I now hang, I will overlap it 3/8" and doublecut it. So after I have done this 5 times, my pattern has been 'shrunk' 1 7/8". So now my last large stripe will fall 1 7/8" shy of the corner, making it appear correct.

This will give you 5 total stripes in the last 5 pieces that are only 1 5/8" instead of 2".

This only works with some patterns, in certain situations. I hope you understood what I was trying to say here.

Old 12-02-03, 01:04 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
nice explanation prowall just excellent.

Old 12-02-03, 07:14 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Awwww.........

Prowall's showin' off again!

Old 12-03-03, 01:07 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Just another day at the office, ya know?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: