70's velvet wallpaper

Old 01-04-04, 04:32 PM
ozchick
Visiting Guest
Question 70's velvet wallpaper

I have just removed some wallpaper - no problem - BUT underneath is what appears to be the remnants of some old 1970's velvet wallpaper. Only problem is - it isn't actually wallpaper to be removed - the velvet floral pattern is as solid as a rock. Sanding has made no difference at all

I want to paint but obviously can't till I get rid of the pattern.

Will I have to plaster over the top of it?

Old 01-05-04, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds like you will have to seal over the old flocked paper, and skim it all out with joint compound. Then prime it and paint.

Old 01-07-04, 04:26 PM
ozchick
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Is joint compound the same as drywall mud?

Also I got a can of Behr "interior texture paint" - will it do the same thing?

I would have to prime the wall first I assume to waterproof the drywall, then use the joint compound or texture paint?

Thanks again

Old 01-07-04, 05:37 PM
Joint compound is the same as drywall mud.

A can of texture paint will not do the same thing.

Yes, prime the wall first to 'waterproof', or seal the surface.

Then use the mud to smooth out the wall.

Prime over the mud again when dry and smooth.

Then you can paint or use texture paint.

Old 01-09-04, 09:04 AM
ozchick
Visiting Guest
Prowallguy - you are a gem

Just one more question

When I rip off the grasscloth - it comes off in whole pieces - JUST the straw and leaves behind two layers of paper - I assume one is the backing for the grasscloth, then another layer.

If I just tear off the grasscloth, can I paint primer on the remaining paper (rather than tear it off and be left with the velvet wallpaper), go over the primer with paint texture, then paint that?

Just seems to me if I rip off the grasscloth, I am then really just painting over wallpaper - a lot easier than risking damaging the drywall under the velvet walllpaper

Thanks again

Old 01-09-04, 03:23 PM
It is a possibility, but depends on how the paper was applied to the wall. Use a sponge and wet a couple areas of the backing. If it bubbles up, it must be removed. If it doesnt bubble or get soft or anything, you could prime over it. You will want to use an oil-based primer/sealer to really lock it all down. Then float the seams and any rough areas with joint compound. Then prime it with your latex primer then paint.

Keep in mind it is ALWAYS better to remove all of it if possible .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: