Strippable glue?

Old 01-22-04, 02:31 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strippable glue?

I have just taken down some 'strippable' wallpaper in my bathroom. I am having one heck of a time getting the old glue off. I've been using DIF wallpaper stripper spray gel, but it's not doing a lot of good. If I thoroughly wet the glue and use a putty knife or Dobie pad, it comes off but I need a faster way to get this stuff off besides, the putty knife is messing up the wallboard. I'm under a time constraint. Any good old time suggestions? I want this stuff off Fast!

Old 01-22-04, 04:48 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It will only come off as fast as it wants to.

Quick fix: Sponge it smooth and oil prime it.

Old 01-22-04, 05:17 PM
L
Thank you. The reason I'm trying to get it off the wall is because it is all crinkly. It doesn't seem to smooth out much with a sponge. I'm about to just block the room off and tell everyone it fell in the gulley!

Old 01-23-04, 04:52 AM
B
doesn't sound right

Maybe prowall or someone else has seen something like this, but I suspect there's more here when you describe the paste as crinkly.

Since its a bathroom, I suspect something other than wallpaper paste was used.

Did you put this paper up orginally?

Old 01-23-04, 06:16 AM
L
Yes. I put up the paper (dog gone it!) and now I sure wish I hadn't. The paper was the lick and stick vinyl, supposedly strippable stuff. I just dipped it in water and put it on the wall. If I had the money, I'd hire someone to take the dratted stuff off.

The glue is in patches with lines running through it. I might leave it , but the paint I have for that room is latex and I'm afraid once I put the paint on, the stuff will come off or gunk up the brush.

Old 01-23-04, 06:42 AM
If you try to paint over the adhesive, it will fail. If it won't sponge smooth, then oil prime it first, then smooth out the 'crinkly' areas with joint compound. Then when smooth, prime it and paint it.

Old 01-23-04, 06:50 AM
W
Sadly, I don't think there is a faster way. To remove adhesive, I spray the wall with a garden sprayer filled with warm water that has a small squirt of Dawn dishwashing detergent in it. I wait 5 minutes or so then attack with a putty knife and scrubbing pad. I haven't had much success with Dif, so you may try my stripping solution and see how it works for you.

Old 01-23-04, 08:11 AM
L
Thanks for the great suggestions. Looks like I'm stuck (no pun intended) with elbow grease and determination. I will NEVER paper again! I have a bedroom to do next but it may be this time next year before I can get to it seeing how slowly this project is going.

Old 01-23-04, 11:41 AM
B
proper prep is the key

Proper prep is the key. I always prime with zinsser's sheildz. Then I use a diluted paste to wet the pre-pasted paper.

Doing this lets me strip the paper - years later - with very little effort. With warm water, the paste comes right off.

One hint - have the "shieldz" primer tinted close to the background of the paper. If you should have a little seperation at a seam, it will be practically invisible.

Old 01-23-04, 12:06 PM
I will NEVER paper again!
Sorry to hear that. If it was prepped and hung correctly, removal is never an issue.

You can blame the paper manufacturers for deceiving the public that paperhanging is an easy DIY type job.

To the manufacturers: You reap what you sow.

Old 01-24-04, 09:55 AM
L
Strippable glue

Thanks for all your help with this rotten project. I finally got the glue to come off rather easily and rather quickly. So if it will be any use to anyone else. here's what worked for me. I mixed up a strong solution of Dawn and water (thank you for the Dawn suggestion) working on the idea that if a little was good, then a lot must be fantastic. I sponged it on the walls heavily. I was wading on the floor on some particularly difficult parts. Then I used a Dobie pad and the stuff came off! Hooray, hooray! It took a while and some elbow grease but it was a lot easier than what I had been doing. This morning I wiped the walls down to remove some of the soap. Now I'm spackling and hoping it doesn't look too bad after I sand it. Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'm so glad that that part of this project is DONE!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: