Hanging border w/a vaulted ceiling

Old 02-24-04, 12:19 AM
SWAM
Visiting Guest
Hanging border w/a vaulted ceiling

Hi,
I need to know if there is any easy way to hang border when theres a vaulted ceiling & (the walls aren't level)?

When I go to run it around the corner from the straight wall on up the angle of the other wall, I can't seem to match it up no matter what I do, I either loose space at the top or it wants to run up onto the ceiling.

Any suggestions, Appreciated.

Old 02-24-04, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
This is gonna be real hard to explain so bear with me.

You are looking at the wall in front of you. Its 8' tall. This is wall A. The wall immediately to your right is the vaulted one, starting at 8' in the corner and moving up. This is wall B.

Run the border down wall A, and turn the corner onto wall B. Leave at least 6" overlap of border on wall B, cutting off the rest.

Take the remaining border and overlap it about 1/2" onto wall A and hang it up wall B. Come back to the corner. Using a 10" broad knife, or straight edge of some sort, position it at the top of the border about 1/8" from the corner on wall B. Then run the straight edge down to the bottom of the border to where the two borders meet (at the intersection). Slice it through both layers, making a miter cut. Remove excess top and bottom layer, and you have a new seam.

Expect to lose the pattern match at these corners, there is generally no way to keep a pattern match flowing around these.

Old 02-25-04, 11:17 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This link may give you a visual on prowallguy's advice. Mitered cuts are the norm, but some pros find a wavy cut works better depending on the pattern.

Old 02-25-04, 09:55 PM
SWAM
Visiting Guest
Thank You, Both

Prowallguy, I found your explanation, far more understandable then any I've came across.
And Wallpaper, the pictures were certainly a help.
I've got several scrap rolls to practice with so hopefully, with your suggestions. all will turn out alright.
Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: