Poly urethane over wallpaper?

Old 06-29-04, 03:47 PM
somedaysoon
Visiting Guest
Poly urethane over wallpaper?

I have noticed that most of the textured wallpapers are not vinyl usually used in bathrooms. If I wall paper with one of the new textured wallpapers, should I apply a clear polyurethane over it to protect from the moisture and also help in cleaning the wallpaper?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-04, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, because it will be a beast to remove when you want to change paper.
Also, oilbase poly will yellow with age.

The best moisture prevention is ventilation.

fred

Old 06-30-04, 12:51 PM
some wallpapers are solid vinyl, others are vinyl coated. solid vinyl is best for bathrooms, kitchens & kids' rooms - wherever you're going to be <gently> cleaning them. but you won't hardly find a wallpaper that doesn't have a coating already on it. i'm sure the textured paper you're considering does have some sort of coating on it, and would probably be fine.

if you're papering a bathroom, you'll be better off with solid vinyl. however, you'll be just fine with the vinyl coated. either way, your main concern should be adhering it really well to the wall. that means, even if it's pre-pasted paper, you need to use wallpaper paste. and pay particular attention to the seams and edges. in a steamy bathroom, they tend to come up if not adhered really well.

if, by textured paper, you mean the kind that you hang and then paint, you don't need to seal it with anything. but i'd recommend using semi-gloss or satin paint - anything but flat, which is harder to clean.

Old 06-30-04, 08:00 PM
Poly can be used over paper, but like fewalt said, it will be tough to remove. Ventilation is the best bet for paper longevity in a wet or humid environment, and if it is hung correctly (right primer + paste), it will stay up indefinitely.

Old 07-01-04, 07:14 PM
somedaysoon
Visiting Guest
Poly over wallpaper

Thanks, guys. If I paint over the textured wallpaper, I will use satin gloss which I would do on plain walls. If I use the paintable wallpaper, I guess I will just pray that the ventilation from one window will do the job.\