Using papers from a book over existing wallpaper

Old 08-07-04, 08:18 AM
debstacy
Visiting Guest
Using papers from a book over existing wallpaper

I want to take pages out of a book and use them for wallpaper over existing wallpaper in the sink area of a bathroom. What preparation do I need to do to the existing paper and what should I use to "glue" the pages from a book to the old paper. I read some where that you can use Acrylic Matte Medium. Would you suggest this?

Old 08-07-04, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the existing wallpaper is a peelable vinyl, I would remove the vinyl facing first. I would prime it with either an oil-based primer, or Zinsser's GARDZ or Scotch paint's DrawTite. Use a very short napped roller and roll on a very thin coat of Heavy Duty Clear Adhesive. Flip over the page you want to apply, and using a spray bottle, lightly mist the back of the page with water. If the water pools or puddles up, its too much. Just enough to relax it. Roll it up like a newspaper. Wait about 2-4 minutes, and smooth the page onto the wall. After its all done, you can coat it with a clear poly for durability.

Old 08-08-04, 06:06 AM
debstacy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information. Should I roll the adhesive on the entire wall first and then go back and apply the pages...or just little spaces at a time? Also, how can I tell if it is a vinyl wallpaper?

Old 08-08-04, 07:48 AM
I would just roll on in small areas, a couple inches bigger than the piece of paper being applied. If you get on a roll, you might be able to to several in one shot, just slowly figure out how long you have before it tacks up too fast to allow adherence. As for the vinyl, if its shiny, or you can peel away the facing, leaving the brown or yellow backing intact, then its vinyl. And if you can do that much, its highly preferable to remove the backing as well.

Old 08-13-04, 11:29 AM
debstacy
Visiting Guest
What kind of Clear Poly would you recommend over the wall to help protect it?

Old 08-14-04, 06:05 AM
Benjamin Moore makes one called 'Stays Clear' that is an acrylic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: