Shrinking Wallpaper

Old 09-21-04, 10:42 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shrinking Wallpaper

I have had a problem in the past with prepasted wallpaper shrinking after it dries, leaving a small gap between adjacent pieces of wallpaper. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Old 09-21-04, 01:56 PM
aomeara
Visiting Guest
shrinking wallpaper

Hi,

You did not mentional what kind of wall paper you were hanging. If it is the paper type, yes there is a lot of shrinkage if you are over working the paper which is easy to do. (overworking is overstretching, reapplying many times while the backing is still wet etc.) ... This type is the most difficult to hang but usually the most reasonably priced.

If you have hung the paper and have gaps between the seams, here is a cheap trick: Find a paint or marker, closest to your background color and fill in between. This is the simplest and cheapest way to make do other than stripping it off and rehanging.

Canvas is usually much easier to hang and so for the layman does not tend to get streched too much although this is possible with this type wall paper.

Aimee
Also, did you prep your walls? Very important as it makes you job easier.

Old 09-22-04, 04:26 AM
B
Shrinkage is caused by poor prep work and stretching the paper while hanging.
1st - prime the walls with zinsser's Shieldz. This is primer and sizing in one application and allows the paper to "slide" with less stretching. Have it tinted to match the background of the paper. Small gaps are almost invisible.
2nd - instead of using plain water to activate the paste, buy the watered down paste (available wherever wallpaper prodcuts are sold). Apply it with a roller and let book per instructions. This also allows easier movement with less stretch.
3rd - Hang the paper as close to its location as possible. Move it as little as possible once its on the wall. Start at the top and smooth as you go so you have little smoothing after its positioned.

Old 09-24-04, 06:34 AM
W
Smile Thanks

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate your efforts.

William Wolfe

Old 10-09-04, 06:17 AM
T
Some papers shrink even without being "overworked" on a plastered wall..
aomeara gave a good suggestion although Im gonna let you into a little secret that belongs to me... You need some white caulk and some water based emulsion that is a good match for the wallcovering.. Mix a little paint to the caulk to tint it and the fill the gaps with plastic smoother.. Wipe off excess with a lint free rag or synthetic sponge.. I promise..The seams can no longer be seen...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: