Faux Stainless Steel

Old 11-07-04, 08:31 PM
Memphisbelle049
Visiting Guest
Question Faux Stainless Steel

Does anyone know anything about a product called: Faux Stainless Steel? While watching one of the shows on HGTV, the designer renovated an outdated kitchen. Instead of putting up new tile as a backsplash, she had faux stainless steel sheets installed. The look was really great. I have 70's yellow tile all around my backsplashes and would like to bring this kitchen into the 21st century. I have been slowly making changes. All the appliances are new in black and stainless steel, put in a black sink (replacing a harvest gold sink, ugh) new pergo flooring and have been trying to find a cost effective and attractive alternative to the old yellow tiles. Can this product be applied directly over the old tile? What type of adhesive is used? Where can this product be purchased? I contacted HGTV via email asking for more info on this product and the procedure but they have not responded to my query. Any help or info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Old 11-08-04, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i did a search for "stainless steel laminate" and came up with Alsa. don't know if that's what you saw being used, but you might start there. HGTV will surely get back to you. let us know what you find out.

Old 11-08-04, 09:27 PM
Memphisbelle049
Visiting Guest
Wink Faux Stainless Steel

Thank you for the info on Alsa. I will do some checking on that. By the way, it has been over a week now and HGTV still has not responded. I will try again, but won't get my hopes up.

Old 11-09-04, 03:03 PM
Memphisbelle049
Visiting Guest
Faux stainless steel

HGTV finally responded to my query on the faux stainless steel. They informed me the show is produced outside of the US and therefore cannot give me any info on products or procedures shown on the air. I did some searching and found the website for the designer on the show "Divine Design", registered for the forums, etc. The site is so hard to navigate and takes so long that I floundered for over an hour just trying to link to the "ask Candice" site. Finally gave up, so I am still searching for more info on this product.

Old 12-02-04, 08:37 AM
tacosan
Visiting Guest
MephisBelle/ Annette:
Any luck on finding out where to procure "faux stainless steel"? I missed the HGTV show but several people have mentioned the product tome. I am also redoing my kitchen in stainless steel and black and the product sounds ideal. I will also pursue the search for and keep you infromed

Old 12-02-04, 10:23 AM
Alsa

do an internet search for Alsa Corp. they make it.

Old 12-06-04, 01:49 PM
D
Formica imports a metal laminate from Europe. It has a backing, just like a regular sheet of laminate. It looks exactly like stainless. Comes in about two dozen different metal type finishes. As far as attaching it to the wall, or over tile, I would have it layed up to a thin substrate, that has a balancing sheet to prevent warpage, cut it to exact size, and put it over the tile with construction adhesive.

Old 01-15-05, 09:19 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Faux Stainless Steel

I am the sales rep of this product and we are the exculisive importors for it in the USA. It can be bought on this web site XXXXXXXXXX or is available in Improvements catalog or Brylane Catalog. It is the Coolest!!! I redid all my appliances in 1 Hr.

Last edited by prowallguy; 01-15-05 at 12:07 PM. Reason: sorry no ads allowed
Old 01-15-05, 03:59 PM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thumbs down Great new Faux Stainless Steel product

Really cool product from Europe just arrived for sale in the United States! Now you can update any of your aplliances to have the Stainless Steel look in minutes for a very reasoanble price. Checkout www.xxxxxxxx and you will see some great ideas!

Last edited by GregH; 01-15-05 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Not sorry this time. NO ADVERTISING!
Old 03-30-05, 04:47 PM
RedHead2
Visiting Guest
i just had some stainless steel bevel tiles put up as my backsplash. It looks great! Not sure if that's what you're looking for though. Although I have to say that I thought about going with a stainless steel sheet backsplash instead to save some money but I'm glad I went with the tiles instead. =)

Old 06-02-05, 02:13 PM
lsylvester
Visiting Guest
I found a faux stainless steel product on ebay from Riffel. Has anyone applied this before to any appliances? It states it is easy but just wanted to see if anyone has used this. If so does it scratch or show fingerprints?

Old 06-10-05, 03:37 PM
nadie
Visiting Guest
Post FAUX MEtal Sheeting info

Hi! Here's some info for ya!

I too saw that HGTV show and was inspired to use the metal looking sheeting in my kitchen.
There are two companies that sell the product. One is a german or danish company called Alkor Deco, they sell a product called SOFTMETAL. It comes in many different looks: steel (kinda like a brushed metal) aluminum, riffel (like a basket weave or something) and copper. Alkor sells mostly wholesale, and have no purchasing service on thier website. I think they sell mostly to european customers. They sell in two sizes, 26.75" by 7.4', and 18.?" by 5'. It's hard to tell how the product actually looks, because there are no closeups on thier website.

The other company ALSA CORP sells "fx sheeting" that they developed in conjunction with GE, and that was the one featured on hgtv.They seem to make a better quality product,because they found a way to get a real thin coat of actual metal in between some space age polymer called LEXAN, which makes it really look like the real thing, albeit for a bit of an expensive price. ($10/SQ FT) The looks are amazing though. As you saw on the show it looked so real, you could fool anyone. They sell thier product in 3' increments. The sheets are 3' wide. They also sell a 10" by 12' end roll for $59

The two people that were banned from this thread were ebay/online sellers of the ALKOR DECO product. I found this thread because i was looking for more information on the producers of their product(which they didnt mention in thier ads). I'm a little scared to buy it from them cuz I dont know if it looks as nice as the one from Alsa corp. Or if thier price compares to buying from Alkor deco itself directly. Alkor doesn't post its prices online Since I'm not a wholesaler, I dont think I'll have any luck buying direct.

So I may just go for the ebay deal because the amount i need from Alsa corp would cost me more than $330. (ALKOR DECO through those guys would be $110, but what if its a waste of mymoney?ARGG!)

If you look up the hgtv show "I WANT THAT!" they have a product list and you can browse by episode to get more info about thier featured products. (It was the episode with the metalic surfaces and fans)

I cant give you the website here because it would prob be edited.
I hope this helped, and if you end up buying one, please reply to let us know how it worked out. (i think I'm going for the cheaper one myself, oh well)
Good luck, nadie

Last edited by nadie; 06-11-05 at 03:22 PM. Reason: correction

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: