Wallpaper Border in Bathroom

Old 11-14-04, 06:46 PM
meesterbig
Visiting Guest
Wallpaper Border in Bathroom

Greetings!

We are trying to install a border along the bathroom wall where it joins the ceiling. The border we have selected is 6" wide and is made by Saturday Knight Ltd., Decorative Wall Border, style 'Trellis'. It came prepackaged in a roll with no instructions except that is it apparently pre-pasted/washable-strippable

The bathroom surface is standard drywall with medium flattened texture (no spikes), painted with semi-gloss, water-based paint.

Having never attempted this before, we assumed that we could simply wet the 'glue' side and apply to the wall using a roller and sponge. It does/did not stick doing it this way, not even close. I assume I am either not allowing for sufficient wetting or booking, but I have since tried sample pieces to practice on, again with no luck.

I then perused the internet looking for general wallpapering instructions and came across a site that suggested using a border adhesive and a brush to install the border with. This does not sound correct since the product is labeled as be pre-pasted, but I cannot make it sticky simply by wetting and/or booking it.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

thanx for your help!
beegster

Old 11-14-04, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
meesterbig, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I believe the problem is that you have to soak the border in water (in a pan) for a while before applying. Roll the border up with the adhesive side out and then soak it (even the bathtub will work). Try to let as much of the adhesive surface contact the water as possible. Other experts can give you tips also so watch this post for more info. Good luck and post back with the results. Click on or copy and paste the link below and go to question #6.

http://www.nvadb.com/faq.htm

Old 11-15-04, 04:17 AM
B
Did the sample pieces ever get tacky or sticky? If not, then it isn't pre-pasted.
Since the paint is semi-gloss, sizing will help. If you were papering more than a border, I'd suggest priming with Shieldz - tinted to match the background of the paper.
A bathroom definitely needs more that the paste on a prepasted paper. The humidity from showers and baths will cause the paste to fail. Read the labels. Do not get a vinyl on vinyl paste. That is for putting borders over vinyl wallpaper.

BTW, I never use plain water anymore, regardless of the room. I always use an activator. An activator is basically a watered down glue. Its rolled onto the back of the paper and activates the paste of a pre-pasted paper. When its time to remove the paper, its not a problem. The key, as always, is proper prep work. Failing to prep the walls or taking shortcuts on the prep will cause problems later.

Old 11-15-04, 07:35 AM
meesterbig
Visiting Guest
Thank-you both for the tips, I will check into this a little further.

In response to majakdragon, I will try to roll a small sample in reverse and soak it for 5-10 minutes.

Responding to BobF, the samples never really got sticky or tacky; they seemed to get a little slimy or gooey. This, after soaking the samples for less than 1 minute. But, the paper then quickly dried and whatever tackiness I was imagining also quickly vanished.

I agree with the notion of special application procedures due to the high humidity in the bathroom, I suspected this from the start. Can you suggest any particular brand name of adhesive I could consider?

Can you tell me what 'sizing' means?

thanx again

Old 11-15-04, 09:18 AM
the "slime" you felt WAS the adhesive. it was just crappy adhesive!

also, 5-10 minutes is WAAAAAY too long to soak! after that much soaking, any paste will probably get washed OFF and the backing will disintegrate! it only takes about a minute for the wetting process.

but for installing a border in a bathroom, you want to scratch that method anyway, and just apply border adhesive to the back of the border. you can use your formica top kitchen counter, or soemthing similar. lay the border out in as long of a stretch as you can and use an old brush. paint on the adhesive making sure you go over the edges really well (it'll wash off your formica later). then when you've glued, say, a 4 foot section, book it onto itself. then stretch out another 4 feet & keep repeating, fan-folding it as you go. then, when you get it to the bathroom, don't undo the entire thing right away, or it'll just dry out. try to keep it booked as much as possible, only undoing the immediate area you're working on. it's easier to handle that way, too.

pasting it yourself is definitely the way to go.

Old 11-15-04, 01:45 PM
meesterbig
Visiting Guest
Thanx a ton, Annette!

This stuff was purchased @ Kohl's at a cost of $15 per roll. I am now understanding the picture in terms of getting what you pay for......

However, the design is attractive enough that we will still try to use it, providing we can choose the right adhesive.

beegster

Old 11-15-04, 01:52 PM
$15 bucks isn't super cheap for a border. but money aside, some of the worst wallpaper i've ever hung was expensive Waverly, and the best was an inexpensive vinyl! go figure!

just get 'er up there any way you can!

good luck!

Old 11-29-04, 08:03 AM
Retep
Visiting Guest
Hello all,
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am also about to put up a pre-pasted border in a bathroom and have a couple questions. I purchased a quart of Golden Harvest GH57 Universal Border Paste to use with the border. I will be putting this border over a fresh coat of semi-gloss latex paint. The border directions say to sand when applying to a semi-gloss or hi gloss finish. The paste says nothing about sanding. All it says about painted surfaces, is flat latex paints do not provide a good bonding surface. Do I need to sand or am I good to go? If I do need to sand, would a light surface roughing with a fine grit sanding sponge be sufficient?

Thanks for the help.

Pete

Old 11-29-04, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yep, lightly scuff it with 120 grit paper, should help adhesion well.

Old 11-29-04, 12:06 PM
Retep
Visiting Guest
Thanks Prowallguy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: