Temporary Wall Covering/Paint

Old 12-12-04, 11:41 AM
avantgal74
Visiting Guest
Temporary Wall Covering/Paint

Without causing too much of a removal headache, is there any temporary solution, besides fabric, to cover up boring white walls. TLC showed a tissue paper block effect on bare white walls, but I am not sure how they attached it, or if it was easily removable. Looking to spruce up a great apartment who's walls I can't paint!

Thanks!

Old 12-14-04, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the tissue paper thing was glued on - not easily removable at all. in fact, that will be a gigantic nightmare to remove compared to the regular nightmare of removing wallpaper.

i'd forget painting or wallpapering, and think of something(s) to hang on most of the wall - a floor to ceiling grid of artsy posters, pictures, photos, etc., or a large screen, or fabric, etc. or maybe a combination of the aforementioned: a boldly colored fabric on one wall, and the grid of large artwork on the others..etc.

what about using colored bulbs in several uplights (hidden behind your sofa which is up against the wall) - casting multicolored light on the plain white "canvas"???

Old 07-16-10, 07:42 AM
J
I did a small bedroom with the tissue paper effect some years ago. It looked great. However, I now want to re-do the room and removing it is proving to be a huge headache (way worse than regular wallpaper). I have finally decided I am doing more damage than good in trying to remove the tissue effect and will now patch up some areas and keep the effect. I'm mixed on the idea. 1) it was easy to do, 2) I was very pleased with how it looked, 3) it was a lot cheaper than regular wallpaper but 4) not proving to be an easy idea to change from. Although I am keeping the effect in this one room I would not do another room in this fashion.

Old 07-16-10, 09:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums JillJill!

You should be able to sand and seal the tissue paper. I'd sand/scrape off what I could, prime with an oil base primer, sand and patch as needed, reprime [latex ok this time] and it should be ready to paint normally.

Old 09-26-10, 07:48 AM
C
i hope to be in the market for a house soon. and i expect it to have wallpaper somewhere in it. i have removed boarders before, not fun, and it left damage. what i am going to do in the house, is just take down the drywall and replace with new.

Old 09-26-10, 01:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO replacing drywall just to get out of removing wallpaper is a little drastic

Old 09-26-10, 05:47 PM
C
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
IMO replacing drywall just to get out of removing wallpaper is a little drastic
removing 4x8' wallpaper and fixing damage = could be 5 hours.

taking down a 4x8' piece and replacing = 1/2-1 hour.
AND i would have a fresh surface.
AND i could inspect what is inside the wall for potential issues & whatnots.

seems like a win win too me.

Old 09-27-10, 03:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with the part of having access to the wall cavity and possibly updating insulation or electrical but I'm not sure the extra effort for hanging, finishing and cleaning up/containing the dust is worth it...... but to each his own

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: