trick to wallpaper removal

Old 12-21-04, 07:28 AM
sunjunki
Visiting Guest
trick to wallpaper removal

Use windex cleaner. I used the gel stuff that was recomended for the job. Didn't work . Just spray on the windex and start peeling. It works great.

Old 12-21-04, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
I would assume ammonia in the window cleaner is the "trick".

Old 12-21-04, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i've had perfectly good results using hot tap water in a spray bottle!

Old 12-21-04, 06:35 PM
B
Agree with water and more water. Always worked for me. Apply water. The top layer may strip off, but then apply more water.
Note - vinyl paper is tough. Find a seam or some place (top/bottom to start peeling the top layer off.
Note 2 - foil paper is even harder to remove (get water under it to start loosening the paste).

When you think all the paper and paste is off - wash the walls down one more time to make sure all reisdual paste is gone.

Note 3. A steamer may help. But if the proper prep wasn't done and/or it was applied to bare drywall or painter's paint, it is almost impossible to remove. The ONLY time I ever suggest painting over paper is when it was applied to bare drywall or drywall with only a coat of painter's paint (cheap, watery "junk").

If you ever hang wallpaper make sure you do the proper prep. And if you hire someone that doesn't inlcude the prep in the estimate - run away as fast as you can!

Old 12-27-04, 02:36 AM
mazroy
Visiting Guest
i always use a touch of wasshing up liquid in my hot water for stripping wallpaper....im assuming it softens the paper more for easier removal. I know its cheaper than buying the wallpaper strippers in dulux or crown centers. Also use a paper tiger to score stubborn papers 1st.

Old 01-05-05, 04:18 PM
ToolBeltDiva
Visiting Guest
I'm doing really well with the DIF gel remover. But I'd be lost without this little bugger I picked up at walmart called the Paper Tiger. It perferates the paper so that the gel gets underneath. You can get it at Home Depot too, and at probably any home store.

I've got vinyl wallpaper up here with paper backing. The job stinks, but somebody's gotta do it.

I tried fabric softener in water, vinegar in water, just water, and nothing worked. I guess everybody's job is a bit different.

Old 01-06-05, 04:09 AM
B
toolbeltdiva,

Yes every job is different. The key to easily and successfully removing wallpaper is in the prep work done BEFORE its hung. Too many diyers take shortcuts. And just because someone is paid to hang paper doesn't make them a pro. I've seen too many times where these people skipped the prep work. Part of it is cost, but a lot of it is simply that they don't know any better.

Old 01-17-05, 08:36 PM
K
While stripping the 4 layers of wallpaper in my kitchen, in uncovered 2 painted layers. Arghhh. Hours later, using DIF and a steamer, I had painstakingly peeled off about 3 feet of wallpaper down to cheap builders paint.

I turned to the internet, and despite many websites, DIY's advice to put new wallboard up I found a promising site about a newer product called Wallwik (sp?). Its a system complete with its own scorer, which I found better than the paper tiger. It also has a special enzyme formula--but I don't know that its any better than DIF, just more concentrated.

The big breakthrough is the "paper" barrier that you apply over the wallpaper and which is then saturated with the remover. Much like a similar paint stripper product I've used, the trick is the paper which retains the remover and seems to make it work more effectively. I would spray it on and wait 45 minutes, and amazingly all four layers, even the painted ones, would peel off with minimal damage to the walls. I hope this isn't a prohibited endorsement, but this product is fantastic. I found it at a local wallpaper store, but its available on the internet.

K

Old 02-20-05, 06:36 PM
jamie
Visiting Guest
useing 50% water and 50% vineger works wonders for textured wall paper on old paneling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: