Pre-pasted vinyl wallpaper over melanine

Old 01-11-05, 05:31 AM
CoastalGirl
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Pre-pasted vinyl wallpaper over melanine

I'm trying to wallpaper over melanine cabinet doors and the pre-pasting isn't sticking. Should I score the melanine? or prime it? or use some other kind of adhesive besides what is on the back of the wp already? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 01-12-05, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation please don't!

i wouldn't recommend you proceed with this project at all. IF you can get the paper to stick, it won't hold up for long at all, and then it will look rather tacky and you won't be able to fix the worn areas without completely redoing the process, IF you can get the paper OFF then! how were you planning on wrapping it around all the corners smoothly, and hiding the edges? what kind of print is on the wallpaper? is it a faux "wood" print or something?

is painting not an option? that would be the way to go to change the look. they make paint just for melamine.

are these your kitchen cabinets? or workshop/garage cabinets?

Old 01-13-05, 12:47 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It can be done. Sand the surface with 80 grit paper to give it tooth. Prime it with a tacky wallcovering primer, R-35 comes to mind. Then use a heavy duty clear adhesive, the prepaste won't be tough enough to bond on its own.
how were you planning on wrapping it around all the corners smoothly, and hiding the edges?
If you place the piece over the door facing, cut at each corner out at a 45 degree angle and wrap it around the back. come on Annette, have faith, we paperhangers can wrap anything.

Old 01-13-05, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
okay, okay, it "can" be done, but i still say painting them will look nicer, hold up longer, and allow for easier future fixes than wallpapering them will.

but then again, CoastalGirl didn't ask for my opinion, she asked HOW to do it.

i hope you'll post back after your project is completed and let us know how it turned out!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: