wallpapering over vertical blinds

Old 01-16-05, 04:59 PM
lynn anne
Visiting Guest
wallpapering over vertical blinds

has anyone ever wallpapered the front of pvc vertical blinds? I know you would have to be careful of the pattern you choose because of repeat and overlapping blinds. I do have a pattern that will work - just wondering if anyone has ever done it and how it turned out.

Old 01-17-05, 05:39 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes, we have done it. A designer I work for in particular liked to see this. It looked really good, but takes forever to do, very tedious.

Old 01-17-05, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question details, please!

pwg: what kind of prep work did you do, and what kind of adhesive did you use?

thanks!

Old 01-17-05, 12:07 PM
Prep = none
Adhesive = none

The ones we did were like a colored plastic insert in a clear plastic sleeve.
We would either remove the colored insert and replace with pre-cut pattern-matched strips, or slide the pre-cut strips in the sleeve over the original insert so it would appear the same as original from the outside.

Old 01-17-05, 12:14 PM
that would be pretty easy, but i think the poster is wanting to adhere wallpaper to the plain vinyl vanes......?? at least, that's what i'm wondering!!

Old 01-17-05, 03:01 PM
If I was to adhere them, I'd use 3M 77 Spray Adhesive.

Old 01-17-05, 03:45 PM
T
Cutting would have to be very precision and adhesive would have to be very evenly spread to achieve a professional and finished look. After placing a value on your time, it would probably be less expensive to simply replace the blinds. I have also read posts on forums where posters inquired about spray painting to change color of vertical blinds. I see neither wallpapering or painting as a long-term durable option due to having to clean the blinds at least once a year. I have also read posts that inquired about dying fabric coated vertical blinds. Because most of these blinds are covered with synthetic fabrics, these tend not to be dyeable.

Old 03-18-05, 11:25 PM
T
What I would do is lay 4/5 veins on a flat surface side by side.Wet the back of the paper with a sponge and allow to book.. Paste up a length of paper with border adhesive slightly thinned applied with a short nap roller. Lay the paper over all of the veins and use a smoother to apply the paper. Allow to completley dry.
Once dry turn the whole lot over and with a sharp snap off knife trim paper to the vein edges..
If you match and cut the lengths of the paper before you start then there is no need to match the paper on each vein..Hope this makes sense..

Do exactly the same on the reverse side..

Old 03-19-05, 02:52 AM
T
..If you are using a vinyl wallcovering then this of course is easily cleaned..
If its paper then two coats of an acrylic satin/flat varnish will seal the surface and be as easy to clean as any decent vinyl..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: